Well your detector should go off long before the house is filled with smoke. I guess its a matter of where one lives,but I've got 22 years on a city FD, been to 100's of PD fires. If someone is home and calls when the detector goes off,its seldom( like 90 some % IIRC) the fire becomes more then a one or two roomer where I work. When I read things like 10 minutes is a good responce time, WOW ! fire doubles in size each minute ! you don't have much of a chance from the get go. We pride ourselves on getting a line to the seat of the fire in 4 minutes from dispatch .

I guess its because I've been to a ton of PD fires with at least 20 fatals some I found and pulled out and down ladders, that I've come to realize I don't give a rats A$$ about my deer heads on the wall,photos, my guns ,knives, lap tops ,family items etc. Everyone ones comes out alive is all I care about.
Sure I have things backed up on line, copies of photos and records ins. #'s kept off site etc. and 3 or so fire proof safes ( wife works for worlds first and largest fire proof safe co.) But items matter little , very little.

I can shoot more deer,buy more guns.

Oh an and if you have a fire you need to HIRE your own adjuster, NOT just your insurance co.'s. Believe it or not they will try to pay as little as possible. Have
things cleaned not replaced and so forth. The cost of the guy you hire will be more then made up for.

Edited by THIRDPIG (08/25/11 06:46 PM)