I lived through a house fire in the 80's. The door to the hallway was closed so the bedrooms survived with minimal damage, but the rest of the house was destroyed. A painting company had painted my kitchen cabinets that day and had used some kind of chemical to thin their paint that they weren't supposed to use. Xylene I think. Anyway the chemical didn't let the paint dry correctly and the pilot light from the stove caught the fumes.

I personally suffered major smoke damage and singed corneas and was not released from the hospital until about 10am the next day. By about 3pm, and using the yellow pages, I had a moving truck there and 5 guys to completely haul everything I owned, burned or not burned, to a large storage unit. burned and wet items went on one side and dry stuff from the bedrooms went on the other. They completely emptied my house on day 2 of the ordeal. They started at 3pm and by 9pm they were finished. The only thing they left behind were the kitchen appliances which were melted.

I spent the next week recuperating at a relative's house. On about the third or fourth day, my insurance guy visited the house and the storage unit and he cut me a check for expenses to tide me over. In the meantime, the fire department determined the cause of the fire and the insurance company for the painting contractor admitted fault and offered to pay for everything, replacements of clothes, spending money, furniture, plus medical plus construction, plus lost work wages. They were really good about it and I never had to sue them.

So to answer the original question, I left the fire in an ambulance with nothing (gym shorts and tshirt). It really wasn't that big a deal. It's not like I needed keys to get back in, lol. I had my credit card memorized and the moving company had no problem using the number without the actual card. Same for the storage company to rent the unit. Everyone, and I mean everyone, every company was so kind and accommodative, even the utility companies.

I'm not sure how helpful that answer is, but there it is anyway.