Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230136 - 08/20/11 02:33 PM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
One of the things I do for my customers is design redundant Internet connectivity. Most of the enterprise-grade options are probably not available to you.

Some people I know get service from two providers (phone and cable) but that might be too expensive. I'd also want to find out how reliable the two providers have been in your area during storms.

Satellite Internet (as suggested by duckear) is very reliable, except when there's a lot of water between your antenna and the satellite. Very heavy rain or snow can temporarily keep it from working. The latency and bandwidth are also pretty poor.

Cellular is more reliable where I live than landline service, but that didn't work for you.

A local wireless ISP may be your best bet. You'll likely need an external directional antenna, if service is available in your area.

#230144 - 08/20/11 03:06 PM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Bingley]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I was rather hoping that when my cable internet service gets knocked out, I can just tether my cell phone to my computer and access internet that way. The technology works, and so I thought I was all set until a storm actually hit the area and knocked out the ISP. So I went to the backup, only to discover that my cell service was out, too. ARGH! crazy

Any ideas?

Yes, I know internet access is not crucial to survival, but it and the radio are two ways I get information. I am considering a small TV, except that digital reception doesn't seem so great around here, and I'm personally not sure how useful a TV would be in an emergency, not having had one for more than for a decade.

DB

so why was the cell service out, I have been without power and land line many times but cell service has never gone out.

#230145 - 08/20/11 03:58 PM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Eugene]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Eugene
so why was the cell service out, I have been without power and land line many times but cell service has never gone out.

My experience down in hurricane alley is that a wind storm can easily damage a cell transmission tower. If that does not get it, many cell towers are only equipped with a minimum level of backup power via standby batteries. Once the main line power is off, you may only have a few hours (or minutes) of cell phone service in the effected area depending on the maintenance schedule of the batteries in a particular tower. This was seen as a failure point in Florida in 2004. Now many towers here do have adequate backup power via automatic generators and the like, but if your area was not seen as needing such measures, you likely do not have it.

If I might add another suggestion, I am an amateur radio operator. The very best information I obtained during the 2004 hurricanes was from my neighbors operating relatively short range 2 meter radios. Amateur radio is by far the most dependable means of communication in a disaster.

#230216 - 08/22/11 03:25 AM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: celler]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: celler
If I might add another suggestion, I am an amateur radio operator. The very best information I obtained during the 2004 hurricanes was from my neighbors operating relatively short range 2 meter radios. Amateur radio is by far the most dependable means of communication in a disaster.

I'm working on that. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hear some people have been able to send/receive messages to the internet via ham radio. Probably about as efficient as a dog walking on two legs, but maybe I can get out that Facebook update...

Da Bing

#230219 - 08/22/11 03:47 AM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Bingley]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
ARGH!

After you lose your Internet access, the feelings of loss will subside after about 2 weeks depending on the level of dependence.

Facebook will seem trivial and pointless and the idea of sending an email will fill you with dread let alone an IM or that even that Twitter obsession. You may even feel the need to once more write a letter by hand and possibly feel the warm feeling of retro behaviors such as playing a vinyl record as you ponder the immense waste of human activity and time that the Internet represents. wink

#230221 - 08/22/11 04:10 AM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
After you lose your Internet access, the feelings of loss will subside after about 2 weeks depending on the level of dependence.

Without the internet, how am I supposed to check in with you guys on my 12 Step Program out of internet addiction? Don't I need to take pictures of the new survival gadgets I bought, upload them, do a show-and-tell, etc.? You can't do tough survival man stuff without the internet. Besides, the internet is the only girlfriend I've got. Indeed, the internet is at the core of the definition of manliness for the 21st century!!!

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (08/22/11 07:17 AM)

#230227 - 08/22/11 07:06 AM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I hear some people have been able to send/receive messages to the internet via ham radio. Probably about as efficient as a dog walking on two legs, but maybe I can get out that Facebook update...

It's called packet radio. It's pretty cool as a tech demo and awesome for email when the ISP is down, but it's not something I'd use for casual web browsing.

#230270 - 08/22/11 06:32 PM Re: Emergency Internet access plan: fail! [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I've heard the Internet dubbed as the best means of communication since the beginning of mankind. I guess that means outside of a grand-scale natural disaster. However, I will say Internet access is steadily becoming more and more reliable.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.