Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#230105 - 08/20/11 12:46 AM Re: Disaster Cooking demonstration [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

It might be worthwhile having a couple of Campingaz Bistro Stoves on hand for yourself or your neighbours (fitting the cartridge is the only tricky part);

They are pretty cheap and effective costing about $15-20 (including a butane gas cartridge), and they are very easy to operate and control. Only a complete moron would burn down their own house with one. grin

Those are good stoves, had some on board a family members 36 foot sail boat that got lots of use for various meals.

#230109 - 08/20/11 01:01 AM Re: Disaster Cooking demonstration [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
If we pull out the camping stoves and grills, surely people will want to use or borrow them for their own cooking, heating up water, etc.

Keep your good stoves for yourselves. And if a doctor needs boiling water for something, by all means, help him out.

But keep a goodly stash of suitable empty tin cans on hand, and give a neighborhood class on how to build hobo stoves.

If people aren't keeping up with what the economy is doing, or live in a probable disaster area (practically anywhere) and aren't making any effort to do some preemptive disaster preparation, they shouldn't expect to have access to someone else's top-flight stove (and their fuel).

Sue

#230110 - 08/20/11 01:13 AM Re: Disaster Cooking demonstration [Re: LED]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LED
That makes me wonder. If we pull out the camping stoves and grills, surely people will want to use or borrow them for their own cooking, heating up water, etc. What do you do? Loan it out? Offer to cook their food for them? There's also safety concerns as camp cooking requires more caution. And the last thing you want is a neighbor starting a fire with your stove.

That's why my plan does not include grilling outdoors. While I have the space, and I can get an outdoor grill, the population here is dense enough that someone is bound to ask, then another, then another, then another. I wouldn't mind cooking for a few other people, but I can't do more than that. That's just going to make me look like a jerk, and that's no good in situations where you may need your neighbor's help.

Camping stove, etc., are too small and too inconvenient to use indoors, and perhaps not even so safe. I decided on a portable gas stove, and after a bit of market research, I bought something from Iwatani. Their table top gas ranges are used in restaurants. They have extra safety features, and regulate heat output better. If you need high output, you can get their upper-end models. The construction is not necessarily what I'd call rugged, but it's better than the average. They use a proprietary butane mix, and their butane canisters can be attached to a crème brûlée torch. Their butane canisters seem to last a bit longer, too.

Here is a list of some of Iwatani's products from a restaurant supplies website:

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-su...h_field=iwatani

I am just a satisfied customer. I don't work for Iwatani or in restaurant supplies. Heck, as you can see, most of the time I barely cook. But when I have someone to cook for, I always break out the torch!

Da Bing

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.