Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230153 - 08/20/11 07:12 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: comms]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: comms
If there's a chance of getting socked in, I'll bring my jetboil.

I was looking at Jetboil and it seems to be a good system, being able to store the stove and gas canister inside the one liter cooking pot. And because of its design, it can boil twelve liters using a single canister. As for complete systems, this seems to offer the best bang for its size. What is your experience with it?

Jeanette Isabelle

#230154 - 08/20/11 07:27 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
There are most likely people that have used theirs more than I have and would ask them to chime in too. I definitely like it. It is compact. Boils waters really quick, especially for low water meals like instant oatmeal or instant coffee. No need for windscreen. Low fuss set up on uneven terrain. I do actually use the little cup that protects the burner unit.

Only con in my book is that the gimmicky heat gauge on the side that shows you how hot the water is, gets really hot when you grab the insulated side to pull the 1 liter pot off. Have to be careful with it. Sometimes I have a problem twisting the pot out of the detent buttons connecting it to the burner unit, but YMMV.

Its a good buy in my book. Pretty much only use a JetBoil or White Box Stove now.

#230296 - 08/22/11 10:57 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I have the original Jetboil. It's neither as compact nor as light as an alcohol stove, but it's a good stove.

The Jetboil has a lot of in-built wind resistance whereas an alcohol stove is very vulnerable to wind unless you've got a good windscreen. On convenience, speed, and wind resistance, a Jetboil wins hands down.

On price, reliability, compactness, weight, and availability of fuel, the alcohol stove is the clear winner.

HJ

#230297 - 08/22/11 11:01 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I have the original Jetboil. It's neither as compact nor as light as an alcohol stove, but it's a good stove.

The Jetboil has a lot of in-built wind resistance whereas an alcohol stove is very vulnerable to wind unless you've got a good windscreen. On convenience, speed, and wind resistance, a Jetboil wins hands down.

On price, reliability, compactness, weight, and availability of fuel, the alcohol stove is the clear winner.

For the same size as a Jetboil cooking system, how many liters of water can one boil using an alcohol stove?

Jeanette Isabelle

#230300 - 08/22/11 11:09 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

For the same size as a Jetboil cooking system, how many liters of water can one boil using an alcohol stove?

Jeanette Isabelle
With the JB, everything fits into the 1.0 L cookpot. In order to have an alcohol stove have the same dimensions, you'd have to also have a 1.0 L cookpot, which means that there would be no real difference between the amounts that you could boil.

HJ

#230305 - 08/22/11 11:38 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Carpal Tunnel

With the JB, everything fits into the 1.0 L cookpot. In order to have an alcohol stove have the same dimensions, you'd have to also have a 1.0 L cookpot, which means that there would be no real difference between the amounts that you could boil.

You said on compactness the alcohol stove is the clear winner. The Jetboil system, which fits in its own 1L pot, will boil twelve liters of water. For an alcohol stove system that fits in a 1L pot, how many liters of water will it boil?

Jeanette Isabelle

#230306 - 08/22/11 11:56 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
For an alcohol stove system that fits in a 1L pot, how many liters of water will it boil?

If you use a an Etapower l ltr pot and a Standard Trangia and Click stand this would leave around 700ml of space for the alcohol/meths Bottle (assuming a perfect fit). This would boil around 30 litres of water.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Efficiency.htm#Physics

Meths - 18ml to boil 1 ltr of water assuming 80% efficiency

i.e. (700/18)*0.8 = 31.1

Butane/propane mix - 7.54 gms to boil 1 ltr of water assuming 80% efficiency

i.e. (100/7.54)*0.8 = 10.6 (which is near enough to the spec of 12 litres.)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/23/11 12:03 AM)

#230308 - 08/23/11 12:29 AM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
If you use a an Etapower l ltr pot and a Standard Trangia and Click stand this would leave around 700ml of space for the alcohol/meths Bottle (assuming a perfect fit). This would boil around 30 litres of water.

Is there a bottle that will hold that much that would hit in that space?

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Efficiency.htm#Physics

Meths - 18ml to boil 1 ltr of water assuming 80% efficiency

i.e. (700/18)*0.8 = 31.1

Butane/propane mix - 7.54 gms to boil 1 ltr of water assuming 80% efficiency

i.e. (100/7.54)*0.8 = 10.6 (which is near enough to the spec of 12 litres.)

The numbers are not adding up. Jetboil uses 8.33g of an isobutane/propane mix to boil one liter of water.

Jeanette Isabelle

#230309 - 08/23/11 12:48 AM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The numbers are not adding up. Jetboil uses 8.33g of an isobutane/propane mix to boil one liter of water.

The Jetboil doesn't specify the temperature of the water when the test was started.

7.54/0.8 = 9.425 gms to boil one litre, the fuel physics table has the following note

Quote:
In theory it takes about 0.38MJ to heat 1 litre of water from 10C to boiling, or 1.8kW to do this in 3.5 minutes. Real stoves need double this energy to allow for heating inefficiency. At full power this efficiency will drop as so much heat goes up the side of the pot and is wasted. This will also vary significantly depending on wind speed, wind shield, pot shape and size, initial water temperature, and use of a lid. Watching the pot is also rumoured to slow it down :-)

The heat exchanger pot systems have raised the overall stove efficiency from around 50% to around 80%.

So it may be that the difference of 9.425 - 8.33 gms = 1.09 gms is just the fact that Jetboil started their water temperature around 20C rather than 10C.

It really doesn't matter, its only for a ball park comparative analysis.

Remember though that the 3 to 1 ratio of alcohol to isobutane/propane mix per unit volume says nothing about the weight difference. The Jetboil + 500 gram gas cartridge will still be lighter than the alcohol setup which boils 30 Litres and will get you 50+ litres of boiling water.

If you are getting around 10-11 gms or less per real world litre boil using cartridge gas your doing pretty well.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/23/11 01:00 AM)

#230381 - 08/23/11 08:55 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
No way I can comment on BTU or all that math mumbo jumbo above to boil water but I'll chime in on overall weight under the pretense of a Friday night to Sunday morning backpack trip. To do this, I just this moment decided to weigh out my two kits, a Jetboil and my alcohol stove set up. Here is what I got. Incidentally, 1 meal for me is 2 cups of water for a dehydrated or ziplock meal and 1 cup for hot beverage like tea of Starbuck Via.

JetBoil
1 liter pot w/ lid = 8.5 oz
burner =5.2oz
used 100g fuel can w/ tripod = 7.1 oz.
plastic nesting cup = 1oz.
Total weight= 21.8 oz.

Due to canned fuel, regardless of how many days you go out you cannot adjust how much you carry which will of course decrease as you use fuel. Also you're pretty much stuck on using the 1 liter pot thus have a immovable weight amount. But you have a fast boil time.

Alcohol Stove
3 cup aluminum tea kettle = 5.2oz
White Box Stove w/ provided windscreen = 2.2 oz
5 oz of fuel in 8oz kids plastic water bottle = 5.3oz
Total weight= 12.7 oz

A benefit (or trade off) with an alcohol stove is taking only the fuel you need for your trip. Based on my previous use, I need roughly 1oz of fuel to boil 3 cups of water. So I can carry 4 oz of fuel for 4 meals (Fri night, 2 Sat, 1 Sun)plus 1oz for spill or back up. I use a White Box Stove which is considered a 'heavy' alcohol stove at 1.2 oz (not including windscreen). Other options including making your own can/will decrease weight. There is no set size or style, thus your personal set up could use a much lighter pot,cup, kettle.

While the Jetboil is a faster, less finicky system, it weighs nearly 2x a comparable alcohol stove set up for a weekend trip. That being said, depending on where, when and with whom, I will seriously debate the merits of taking either one. And in some cases I take both with a less experienced person carrying the jetboil as a "2 is 1, 1 is none" principal.

I know this thread was not to compare Jetboil vs. alcohol stove, but it sort of begged for this weight comparison after the turn that it took. I appreciate all the info on fuel here b/c it does impact my decision making process.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.