Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230036 - 08/18/11 06:17 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for your entire post, but for this in particular:

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The thing I like with alcohol stoves is that you don't need to transport a white fuel or canister stove when travelling by air. If you don't carry a stove, you won't get hassled by the TSA or equivalent. Simply empty a couple cans of pop or beer, cut, fit, make jet holes and add alcohol to burn! And at the end of the trip, just recycle the stove.
These days, that's a really practical consideration.

Add to that the fact that alcohol can be pretty easily obtained even in towns without a "mountain shop" type store.

HJ

#230037 - 08/18/11 06:18 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: speedemon]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: speedemon
Id have say that the dual use nature of Everclear seems to make it the clear winner in my mind. Of course you have to make sure you don't get carried away and drink the rest of your fuel.
Now, who would go and do such a thing? wink

Everclear is at least a dual use item. Triple use if you use it as a wound cleaner although some people have said that one should not use Everclear for cleaning a wound. I'm not sure about this last application.

HJ

#230038 - 08/18/11 06:20 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Thanks! I always wondered what the difference was between the yellow and the red Heet.

Sue
The way I keep them straight is by comparing them to traffic signal lights:

Red = Stop! (Do not use at all!)
Yellow = Proceed with caution. (Don't spill it on your hands or breath the fumes, but it's a decent stove fuel.)

HJ

#230040 - 08/18/11 06:32 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
...if you use it as a wound cleaner...

It would probably be safe to use it as a disinfectant for swabbing the area where you intend to lance a boil, blister or abscess, and use an antibiotic afterward, not the alcohol. That high of an alcohol content might do damage to raw tissue.

And it could be used to disinfect contaminated tools. If an 80% isopropyl alcohol soak will do it, 190-proof certainly should!

Sue

#230053 - 08/19/11 04:40 AM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Great review.

When you come to Australia you will find "metho" readily available from supermarkets, camping shops, and in small country towns, so its an easy source of fuel. However you can pay between $5 to $10 per litre ! But if you shop around you can buy a bulk (4 or 5 litre) containers for about $15 (on special); that's when I pounce.

I use the metho “neat”, ie undiluted and straight from the bottle, but a few folk swear by adding a small amount of water to thin it down a bit before using. They claim a “cleaner” and hotter burn. I can’t say I’ve really tried.
Any comments Hikin_Jim ?

#230063 - 08/19/11 01:12 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: comms]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I haven't met anyone yet,that could actually tolerate drinking Everclear straight-up,though I watched a few drink crudely refined boot polish in the military,Yuck!

I thought same thing. I couldn't carry enough OJ in my pack to drink Everclear as a beverage. Way to strong and who wants to wake up in the backcountry that hung? OMG that stuff will put you on the couch for a weekend.

Water it down and add some sort of powdered drink mix. As for a hangover, don't drink that much. smile

#230076 - 08/19/11 04:31 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Aussie]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Aussie
... a few folk swear by adding a small amount of water to thin it down a bit before using. They claim a “cleaner” and hotter burn.

Generally adding a bit of water will result in a bit less soot; you'll generally get a bluer flame. But hotter? I doubt it. The water acts to cool (slow down) the combustion process, resulting in a cleaner but not hotter burn.

I haven't experimented with the exact proportions. Generally the alcohol I'm using for fuel already has about 5% water in it, and that alcohol burns pretty cleanly.

HJ

#230121 - 08/20/11 02:55 AM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
sotto Offline
Addict

Yellow Heet is the cleanest burning alcohol fuel I've found in my Trangia burners. It is also easy to pour the fuel into the burners from the Heet bottles. Considering it's easy availability from the auto parts store near my house, it's my fuel of choice, unless I just wanna hear the roar from one of my old Svea white gas stoves.

#230135 - 08/20/11 02:31 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: sotto]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: sotto
Yellow Heet is the cleanest burning alcohol fuel I've found in my Trangia burners. It is also easy to pour the fuel into the burners from the Heet bottles. Considering it's easy availability from the auto parts store near my house, it's my fuel of choice, unless I just wanna hear the roar from one of my old Svea white gas stoves.

Nothing wrong per se with methanol (yellow HEET) as a fuel. Works pretty well.

Two possible considerations:
For someone who is an ounce or gram counter, ethanol has about 25% more heat content by weight than methanol, so you can carry less ethanol for the same result.

For someone who has to cook in his tent or a shelter due to weather considerations, methanol fumes are toxic whereas ethanol fumes are not. High ethanol content denatured alcohol (check the MSDS) will be far less toxic than methanol.

HJ

#230141 - 08/20/11 02:49 PM Re: What's the Best Alcohol for Stove Fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
wow. I NEVER use my alcohol stove in my tent. I set it up in vesty or under a covered area. If there's a chance of getting socked in, I'll bring my jetboil.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 343 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.