Originally Posted By: thseng
Ok, long story short, purchase a D-Link DNS-320 Network Attached Storage device as a central storage location and backup for my home network. This model can hold two drives.

I will make periodic offsite backups, but I was attracted to the option to set this up as RAID 1. I understand the main benefit of RAID 1 is that if one HD fails, the other one keeps working seamlessly. What is not clear is what happens if the RAID controller hardware fails?! Can I take a HD and plug it into andy computer or external hard drive enclosure and read it? Or do I need another RAID controller? Or do I need the SAME RAID controller?

Since the D-Link DNS-320 uses SATA drives, you would be able to connect your drive to any computer that has SATA connectors. How easy you would be able to retrieve the data would depend on your security setup on that drive.

Jeanette Isabelle