Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229775 - 08/12/11 07:10 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"night flashlights;"

Or worse - the dreaded day flashlight....

#229776 - 08/12/11 07:10 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Uncle finding new and amusing ways to waste tax dollars.

#229777 - 08/12/11 07:30 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm glad this country is in such good financial shape, and that the taxpayers are so happy to ante up the funds to perpetrate boondoggles like this!

There used to be a time when the voted/hired 'leaders' were operated by the People of the country. Now, it's the other way around.

Our country doesn't have enough money to pay the bills. So how about we have our 'leaders' provide a complete list of what our money is spent on, and to whom. And I mean EVERYTHING. Publish the list just like the Los Angeles Times Sunday edition (it used to be quite large) except with no advertising or editorials, just the lists. Charge the Sunday Times price for it.

Then have all the taxpayers go through the list and draw a line through everything they think is extraneous. Then eliminate the most 'popular' ones until the USA can meet its spending limit.

Sue

#229778 - 08/12/11 07:52 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Hey, there's no topic too contentious that I won't jump in to defend the messenger, just a bit anyway. Reading the wall poster / flyer as posted on Infowar, I can actually agree with it *except* for the labeling of bulk purchases of MREs and match cases as suspicious behavior. Because all the other commodities on the sample list - high capacity magazines, bipods or tripods, night vision goggles etc, when purchased *in bulk* actually do raise *suspicions*, in my mind anyway. Sure, there could be an occasional guy who coordinates a bulk purchase of super neato rifle tripods for 20-25 guys on a web forum, doing whatever it takes to save a few bucks. But the guy who wanders into a store and immediately clears out any available stock of tripods for AR-47s, pays with cash, and makes scurrilous comments about women, catholics, jews and blacks - yeah, that's suspicious. Would I report to the DOJ a bulk purchaser without any other suspicious behavior? Probably not.

Hey, some folks don't find bulk purchases of tripods and bipods as suspicious, and that's fine. If you removed the items you don't find suspicious from the list, or even remove the list of all suspicious items, is there a message behind the rest of the poster that you might actually agree with?

It doesn't really matter, I don't often shop mil surplus and I sure don't own a mil surplus shop. And I only own a modicum of MREs, just enough to eat for a week or so (which may be unusual by public standards, but is probably short of what folks on this forum stock). No scarier than your average LDS prepper...

#229796 - 08/12/11 10:58 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Thank goodness toilet paper, baby wipes, #10 coffee and AA/AAA batteries weren't on there. That's my Costco list for next week.

#229799 - 08/13/11 12:24 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: comms]
LED Offline
Veteran

Its as if they assume business owners have no common sense whatsoever. Not to mention that vague, citizen spying programs do not work well in free societies. Unless, of course, the objective is to make it less free.

#229801 - 08/13/11 02:43 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I particularly like the disclaimer at the bottome.

Anyone else find similarities in this mentality to the Third Reich?

#229823 - 08/13/11 05:18 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm not surprised. If anything, I'm surprised that it has taken this long.

At the risk of sounding political, a great many of us here were already on watch lists. NRA member- yep, so I imagine the Knife Rights members get it to. Buy reloading components or other hazardous shipping items through mail order- Dept of Trans has your name and address and they share it with HLSD. Engineering or hard science degree and you took out college loans- on a watch list. I buy real Sudafed, they got my signature, thank you Walmart- heck, last time I bought Sudafed, I also bought cheap, bulk shotshells, and jello (!) and paid for the whole thing at the pharmacy. And I've signed petitions protesting the counter productive, big-agri handout called manditory 10% ethanol in gasoline. So yeah, what's one more list that I'm on?

Give it a few years, and if you have a high school degree, some no neck in a Brooks Brothers suit is going to walk up to you and it will be "papers please, citizen".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#229838 - 08/14/11 03:37 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Its as if they assume business owners have no common sense whatsoever.

Some don't. Owning a business doesn't guarantee it.

One of the reasons that non-prescription Pseudoephedrine sales are limited to two packages per month is because some businesses were selling it by the case to the meth makers. They knew, but shrugged and took the money.

Most, if not all libraries refused to keep track of what their patrons were checking out. You can say it was because it was anti-Consitutional, but the reason was probably what it would have cost.

Sue

#229842 - 08/14/11 05:03 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Some time after 911, the FBI started asking colleges to divulge what library books their foreign students had checked out. This would seem more innocent than bulk purchase of ammunition, but they still asked for it anyway.

This makes me wonder, what does a terrorist read? Can you tell that apart from, say, the books that a student checked out for his term paper on terrorism and American foreign policy? Or what about students who became curious about terrorism after 911 and wanted to learn more about it by borrowing liberally from the library? Half of the kids I knew from my teenage years bought a copy of the Anarchist's Bomb-Making Guide or some such ridiculous title from Tower Records because it was considered cool. They couldn't pass high school chemistry if their lives depended on it. Would the FBI explore this embarrassing, pimpled past of many otherwise unremarkable Americans?

I don't know whether the colleges complied. Usually libraries are cash-strapped, and librarians don't typically track a particular individual's reading habits. I'd also think that the colleges would be worried about privacy issues and their legal liability. I'm hoping that the attention on preppers will turn out to be another one of these things. Like someone said, maybe it's an intern's summer project.

Da Bing

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 666 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.