I live in Florida. The primary disaster here is Hurricane. For these you usually get a couple of days notice. This would give plenty of time to fill the containers.<br><br>However, I feel that it would be wise to store several gallons just in case of a prolonged power outage from other reasons.<br><br>Speaking of hurricanes: this site lists some suggested items to keep at home in case of an earthquake. It recommends keeping the items outside of the home. In case of a hurricane, outside of the home is probably the least safe place to keep items. I suspect that I would keep the stuff in my garage, but if the garage collapses due to the storm, this might be problematic.<br><br>Burying is probably out because of the extra expense in purchasing items that I use for camping anyways. Also, the list is quite large, and this would require digging up the whole yard wink Also, if you dig too far in Florida, you hit water. For those folks who do bury items, how do you deal with the items that have to be replaced periodicaly?<br><br>It might be possible to keep the items in a shed, but this is likely to be less safe than the garage. I have seen first-hand the damage that hurricane Andrew did. It is not pretty.<br>