Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#228982 - 08/02/11 07:29 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Mark_M]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Mark_M

I liked this bit in the article:

"The couple, who did not have clothing or camping supplies, was cold when they were picked up, but were said to be doing fine."

I was not aware that naked hiking was a popular pastime in Angeles National Forest. That must require a great deal of sun block and insect repellent.

Apparently adventuring naked is not just a Texas thing...

-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/02/11 07:29 PM)
Edit Reason: removed pictures
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#228987 - 08/02/11 08:16 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
duckear Offline
Addict

So, as a society, we are now air evac'ing tired dogs?

Good lord, no wonder we are trillions of dollars in debt.

Edited by duckear (08/02/11 08:16 PM)

#228988 - 08/02/11 08:51 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: duckear]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'd rather pay my share to rescue dogs with cut feet than rescue repeatedly dumb people. But that's just me.

And the dog probably didn't ask to go, nor pick the trail.

I read some years back that SAR-dog search teams noticed that search dogs searching loose rarely got cut feet, even in destroyed buildings, but dogs searching on lead frequently did.

Sue

#228997 - 08/02/11 09:44 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Mark_M]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_M

I liked this bit in the article:

"The couple, who did not have clothing or camping supplies, was cold when they were picked up, but were said to be doing fine."

"They are editer desrevs a english spelt and gramma chequer!"

The question I have is "why didn't the couple notice the dog was having foot pad problems earlier and either discontinue the hike or treat him earlier?" They could have saved the dog, themselves and their rescuers a whole lot of grief.

#228999 - 08/02/11 10:06 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: duckear]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: duckear
So, as a society, we are now air evac'ing tired dogs?

Good lord, no wonder we are trillions of dollars in debt.

It isn't clear from the rather superficial article, but the chances are the helicopter was involved right from the get go. It is more and more common to use a helo in the initial stages of a search operation.

Once the chopper is on scene, you might as well use it for evacuation. I doubt that any ground team, faced with a dog needing evacuation, would call for helicopter assistance.

Pet rescue is definitely a gray area, but our unit almost always responded - for the training, if nothing else. For years ad years the largest voluntary contribution we ever received for any rescue operation was one where we lifted a stranded doggie from the depths of a mine shaft, which is not a trivial undertaking.

#229002 - 08/02/11 11:54 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: MDinana]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I feel for these folks. When I got my dog, Sierra, I'd hoped to have a good camping companion. She loved going nuts and taking off when we were in the woods in Missouri. Never came back worth a d@mn, but we were working on that.

Then she went and got cancer, and had a leg amputated.

Now my tripod gets tired after a half-mile walk. So much for any more camping with her.

Tripod, thats funny. I bet she loves those walks. You can still take her car camping, I'm sure she'd love to lounge around the campsite.

#229014 - 08/03/11 02:20 AM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
duckear Offline
Addict

From the article:

Quote:
he grew too tired, forcing his owners to call police for help.

Of course, in some areas of the country, I have read a rather large number of 911 calls are of folks complaining of being ripped off in drug deals gone bad, so this is not so out of ordinary anymore in 2011.

#229026 - 08/03/11 04:19 AM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Heck! Even the dog was naked!

#229035 - 08/03/11 11:55 AM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: hikermor]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Pet rescue is definitely a gray area, but our unit almost always responded - for the training, if nothing else. For years ad years the largest voluntary contribution we ever received for any rescue operation was one where we lifted a stranded doggie from the depths of a mine shaft, which is not a trivial undertaking.

Our team also performs animal rescues. Both as a training opportunity and to prevent the owner/others from attempting to perform the rescue, getting into trouble and then we have a potential life threatening situation.

Pete

#229038 - 08/03/11 01:11 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: LED]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I feel for these folks. When I got my dog, Sierra, I'd hoped to have a good camping companion. She loved going nuts and taking off when we were in the woods in Missouri. Never came back worth a d@mn, but we were working on that.

Then she went and got cancer, and had a leg amputated.

Now my tripod gets tired after a half-mile walk. So much for any more camping with her.

Tripod, thats funny. I bet she loves those walks. You can still take her car camping, I'm sure she'd love to lounge around the campsite.

She seems to like any walk.

"Lounge?" My dog doesn't lounge. We call her "tornado" sometimes ... but her name is Sierra (as in, Sierra Nevada mtns). We would, but lots of times my wife and I car camp only when traveling, not as a dedicated past time. So the questions becomes, what do to with her while we're doing an activity (ie museum, winery, etc)

Edited by MDinana (08/03/11 01:12 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 395 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.