The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#227800 - 07/13/11 09:21 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Something (a ziplock maybe?) to put everything inside the can in when you want to use the can?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#227816 - 07/14/11 02:19 AM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You can buy a small can of Goof-Off,that should take off the lining,though that stuff smells like Napalm,I would wash the can afterwards,& Then burn it clean,Good Luck!

#227823 - 07/14/11 05:13 AM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I live in NY.

Cotton Balls cost almost nothing for survival kits when bought in large bulk packs and tho while bulky they can still be split up to create more smaller ones. 18 can easily make 36 still decent sized tinder's.

Imma have to look into that I Do have a big can of denatured alcohol going to waste i wonder if that would melt out the liner.

#227824 - 07/14/11 05:48 AM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
One thing you might consider adding is an "Original Buff". If you haven't seen one, it's a lightweight, compact-folding tube of microfiber fabric you can wear as a neck gator, headband, beanie, pirate's cap, face mask or balaclava. They're available in sport goods stores (I got mine at REI).

I got one last summer because they are great at wicking-away sweat (I sweat a lot). Then I saw a few people snow boarding with them on and decided to try it out myself. Of course I happened to pick the coldest day of the year: 4*F, 20MPH winds, 12"+ powder snow on the ground with about 1-2" crust on top (though it eventually warmed-up to about 18*F).

I was off-roading with my Jeep club all day, spending about 1/2 the time outside the rig watching/waiting for others to attempt obstacles, helping friends get unstuck, changing a few tires and eating lunch. Wore the Buff as a balaclava and it was enough to keep my head, face and ears warm without the suffocating thickness of a fleece balaclava.

The only downside was I only had a red paisley design Buff with me, and everyone was making fun of my "babushka."

Edited by Mark_M (07/14/11 05:49 AM)

#227901 - 07/16/11 12:24 AM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Frisket

Imma have to look into that I Do have a big can of denatured alcohol going to waste i wonder if that would melt out the liner.

I removed the plastic liner, and the rust started real soon thereafter. I like the concept of using cans for cooksets, but the leakage starts fast when I actually use them.

I made a similar kit in a thrift shop saucepan.

#229282 - 08/05/11 10:47 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I really like the idea of making your winter PSK around the pot - kudos to you smile

In winter, your primary PSK is your clothing - both on your person and the extra layer in your pack. Then hydration, then calories. (Yes, you can survive without food - but you'll freeze to death or permanent damage much quicker when hungry). So remember that what you're wearing and what's in your pack (besides your PSK) will be more important than the actual PSK.

I'd ditch the cigars and some of the cotton for the AMK bivy bag ($20 or so?). Or at the very least a heavy duty thrash bag.

Put the vaseline and cotton balls in the freezer for an hour. Take it out and try to make vaseline cotton balls. Tell us how it works (don't ask me, never tried making any in less than room temperature - but I would be surprised if the cotton would wick vaseline at low temperatures).

Personally - even if the above experiment turns out in your favor - I'd pre-make the vaseline-cotton tinder balls and leave the jar at home. That should leave room for some calorie rich snacks.

Unless you like to hike holding that pot in your hand, your kit doesn't need to be limited to your pot. That pot goes into something - a bag? A stuff sack? A day pack? If you can't fit the bivy bag/thrash bag IN the pot you can wrap it AROUND the pot before stuffing it into whatever you're using.

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
One thing you might consider adding is an "Original Buff". If you haven't seen one, it's a lightweight, compact-folding tube of microfiber fabric you can wear as a neck gator, headband, beanie, pirate's cap, face mask or balaclava. They're available in sport goods stores (I got mine at REI).

I got one last summer because they are great at wicking-away sweat (I sweat a lot). Then I saw a few people snow boarding with them on and decided to try it out myself.

I use a wool buff. Cotton is great for wicking away excess moisture and breathing, so great when your moving about. Not so great for keeping you warm when you're not sweating, but freezing.

#229332 - 08/06/11 04:16 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Frisket]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Hi,
Just my two cents...
The idea of building the kit around a pot is great. I suggest a "corn boiler" type, though. These can be found at a number of reenacting sutlers. They can be expensive, so shop around.
I agree with MostlyHarmless regarding the Vaseline jar. Use that space for high calorie food, as your body requires extra calories as furnace fuel.
If the cigars are a psych-support item, or a nicotine addiction supplement then keep them. Otherwise discard as nicotine is a vaso-constrictor and will hinder your efforts at keeping warm.
Warm, dry & hydrated are the priorities of winter preparedness, but everyone here knows that.

#229343 - 08/06/11 09:32 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Finn]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Please forgive my ignorance but what's a corn boiler?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229345 - 08/06/11 10:55 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Please forgive my ignorance but what's a corn boiler?

I think these?

http://westminsterforge.com/nestingsets.html

#229346 - 08/06/11 11:03 PM Re: My New Winter Based Survival Kit! [Re: Finn]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Finn

If the cigars are a psych-support item, or a nicotine addiction supplement then keep them. Otherwise discard as nicotine is a vaso-constrictor and will hinder your efforts at keeping warm.
Warm, dry & hydrated are the priorities of winter preparedness, but everyone here knows that.

I Do not get nicotine From cigars nor am I "Addicted" to them for that reason, I Smoke them for their flavor and fragrance. But Yes they are there for morale as I love smoking cigars during the winter specially in heavy snow storms.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 206 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.