Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227642 - 07/11/11 05:01 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I happen to have one in my hands right now. The black stripe is for grip, and it is a bit wider. My kids have a much easier time using this one than they do the original. They have trouble holding the thinner one and keeping it pointed in the right direction. It seems to produce the same volume of sparks as the original.

#227643 - 07/11/11 05:03 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
widget Offline
Addict

I'd much rather have the metal Spark-Lite which has a replacement flint and can be used forever. The Spark-Lites are a great design with ease of use in mind. However, the plastic ones with the one flint inside tend to oxidize away after being used the first time. The speed that it deteriorates depends on where it is stored/carried and environmental conditions. This makes depending on the plastic Spark-Lite somewhat risky. The SOL version or variation may last longer but for a few dollars more you can invest in the metal Spark-Lite that you can replace the flint in and it will last a lifetime.
I still prefer the Firesteel, I can see what I have, I can make a load of hot sparks and some models are pretty affordable. I coat mine with clear acrylic paint after each trip to prevent oxidation.

#227647 - 07/11/11 05:24 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for you Scout Leaders.. a good craft presentation would be to let your Scouts do a "Ranger Ricks" modification to a Bic lighter (empty of fuel)..show them how to remove the wind screen and fuel activation lever without removing the striker wheel (did mine with a Leatherman PS4)...it had about 3/8 inch of flint remaining...if you saw off the bottom of the fuel tank there is room for tinder

#227651 - 07/11/11 05:59 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Frisket]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frisket
My understanding is that AMK provides a Distribution ability for products to retail stores. In other words they take the product put it in a displayable package for shelf's/racks and Distribute them to stores like Dicks sporting goods and such. They do not own the product or make it they simply provide a way to reatch the stores for products that are mainly sold online and shipped in basic unpretty packaging.

Ah, I see. My mistake.

#227658 - 07/11/11 07:45 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: widget]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: widget
I'd much rather have the metal Spark-Lite which has a replacement flint and can be used forever. The Spark-Lites are a great design with ease of use in mind. However, the plastic ones with the one flint inside tend to oxidize away after being used the first time. The speed that it deteriorates depends on where it is stored/carried and environmental conditions. This makes depending on the plastic Spark-Lite somewhat risky.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have several and have used them for at least a year with no problems, but then I keep them in a zip-lock-type bag when they're not in use. I've been ogling the aluminum version for awhile, so maybe this will be the excuse I need to get one.

I will say the brass one from TAD is really good, bomb-proof and well made. But even so I find the square shape of the Spark-Lite to be easier to use.

#227671 - 07/11/11 10:37 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Phaedrus]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
No matter how great one fire starter/method is, I always carry a back up.

Blake

#227672 - 07/11/11 10:50 PM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

Exactly. There are so many good small and light-weight fire making methods that it's no big deal to carry a few different kinds.

For example, every jacket/coat I own has a Bic lighter or mini-Bic lighter in the pocket (including suit jackets). It costs next to nothing, it weighs next to nothing, and I know that...if I've got my jacket...I've got a way to make fire.

#227689 - 07/12/11 03:58 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
You guys may laugh, but I finally got my first Mini Bic today! grin I don't smoke so I really have to go out of my way to find a lighter. But there's a dollar store right next to the hardware store I was at so I popped in, and they had 3 packs of mini bics; one of the packs had 2 orange ones so I decided to try them. Stuck one in my Maxpedition bottle holder/PSK right when I got home! cool

#227691 - 07/12/11 04:29 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
widget Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

Blake

I actually carry at least 3 methods. A large Firesteel, some Uco wind/waterproff matches, which you can light pour water on and they will still be on fire, and I carry a Spark-Lite metal version with allen wrench and spare flint. I also usually have a butane lighter in a pocket of my pack and on my key chain I have a Firesteel "tube" which is a small ferro rod in an aluminum tube that the lid screws on and has a key ring. I also carry 2 waterproof tubes filled with cotton balls saturated with vaseline. So, I WILL make fire when needed smile

#227692 - 07/12/11 04:59 AM Re: Spark-Lite™ or SOL Fire Lite™ [Re: Phaedrus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
one of the packs had 2 orange ones so I decided to try them.

That's basically what I usually do. I don't smoke either, but when I see a pack with all the right colors, I'll grab it. Usually yellow, orange, and/or white. I like the white ones because it's easy to see how much fuel you have left, but on the other hand....in winter they can be hard to find if you drop it in snow.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 433 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by chaosmagnet
1 minute 7 seconds ago
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:12 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/20/24 04:58 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.