Lots of very good answers and ideas that I would not of thought of had I ever, in the very unlikely event found myself in this situation.

If I had to choose what route to take, it would be over the pass. 6000' feet is not all that much higher then option #1 and in my experience of the area, the overall benefits of the pass in terms of cooler day temps, natural resources available and the fact that the distance is shorter, probably would negate any advantages of option #1 in terms of energy and calories burned.

I estimate a minimum hike of 2 very long days either way given my knowledge of the area, the expected terrain and also based on my physical hiking conditioning which is the high side of very good but not quite excellent.

For people in fair to good shape, I would estimate at least double this time frame. 60 miles on foresty roads is not all that far and like anything, the distance is more of a mental obstacle rather then a physical obstacle...aside from getting a leg/foot injury or debilitating blisters etc.

John Lubbock