You are going to a city, by way a a RR station, and taking a cab. Gee ... I don't know ... sounds to me like there might have been people there before. Maybe even people there when you get there. They just might have food, water and shelter.

Pack comfortable natural-fiber clothes (comfortable and fire resistant), sturdy shoes, your wallet with a little cash and a CC, a jacket (they run the AC too cold), and a smile (relax and make some friends). Pen knife (clean nails make a better impression), lighter, a 12' hank of light line ( convert the jacket into a backpack and amaze the kids with a cat's cradle), cell phone, a couple of clean bandannas might come in handy (bandage, binding, etcetera). If you think it important stuff a granola or energy bar ( saves having to eat stale and overprices travel food) and a single dose packets of aspirin (headache or heart attack) and Imodium (diarrhea) in the jacket pocket.

In the heat I sometimes slip a half-liter bottle of water, refilled from the tap, in a jacket pocket. Not that I can't find water traveling but having a bottle I save the $2.50 for a new bottle and wet my whistle anywhere. On mass transit, if they object, I pout it out and keep the bottle. I get less objection when I tell then I 'recycle the bottles'.

I usually pack a small book or magazine for entertainment and a pocket notebook and pencil for notes.

Mass transit has supplies available. Vending areas and small shops are common. Like any town, it will have a drugstore and somewhere to eat.

Most cabbies are great sources of knowledge and wisdom about their town. Ask a cabbie where you can find something, pretty much anything at all, and they will know where to get it. A friendly cabbie is an asset. Be friendly and tip generously for value given without being a pushover. Same goes for conductors and transit police. Don't try to pass yourself off as a local. Your a traveler and new. Admit that, without coming across as gullible, they saw you coming half a mile off, and anyone in authority will pretty much automatically feel obligated to look out for you.

I've seen a simple polite smile and openness used as leverage so well that the pimps and hustlers were genuinely helpful.