Originally Posted By: sotto
So, it sounds like in a real disaster scenario, an AM/FM radio could be handy, given enough batteries and a decent radio.

Now, the other half of my question. In a Katrina-esque situation, how useful was being able to monitor local amateur radio repeaters, etc., as compared to the local commercial AM/FM radio stations? In other words, was a ham license and gear extremely useful?

Yes. I was in Katrina an many more. In each case, being able to ask questions proved valuable. Being part of the dialog is much better than being a spectator. This was especially true during the first 48 hours or so when information was spotty and the situation was extremely fluid (no pun intended).

Not only was I able to ask specific questions but I also contributed the the general knowledge. Plus many of the folks I was working with were hams so we had excellent communications for our coordinated activities.

But my reason for having a ham license goes well beyond disaster communication. So I am not sure if it would be worth while for that specific use only. You just would not have the skills and understanding to use the system well if you just waited to turn it on when the disaster happened. So if you do go the ham route, please learn to use the system. Like anything, there is a learning curve.

Nomad