Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#226941 - 06/30/11 01:48 AM Question about colleges
Chisel Offline
Veteran

One of the dillemas facing me these days is whether I should send my daughter to study medical in the US or UK.

Can someone help me by roughly calculating the tuition fee and living expenses for a medic student per year ??

I know it varies from college to college and region to region.
Just make your best gues-stimate. Taking into consideration the college is not one of the best five in the country, but one that is above average.

Thanks

#226943 - 06/30/11 02:30 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Both mentioned countries are in Dire need of Arabic Interpreters,starting pay is quite high,& a good living can be made as well as tuition paid & probably choice internship as well!Nurses have a Good thing going for them here in the states,Doctors even more so!What climate does she desire to learn/work in?The South-West US is alot like Home,Warm&Dry though it's a bit further from home as well,& Gasoline prices outside of your Homeland will literally make you cry!:)

#226945 - 06/30/11 02:56 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Here are the costs for Harvard Med School:
http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=costs
That's probably the worst case scenario. If I were you, I'd use those numbers for USA med schools to be safe.

If you don't want me in your business, then stop reading now. You've been forewarned.

You should not be paying for your daughter's medical school if you have to ask the cost. It's one of those "If you have to ask how much it costs, then you can't afford it." She is full grown, became an adult a long time ago and is still relatively young compared to you. So, she'll be in a much better position to pay off the loans than will you. At some point, you should resume living your own life to the fullest. If she doesn't have a goal of making good money after her residency, then she needs a reality check while not using your dime. Cut the cord.

#226949 - 06/30/11 03:46 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thank you both for the responses

Richlacal,
she does not want any job outside the medical profession. I even suggested her to go for computer science (less headache and more options) but she only wants medical.

She started her medical studies in a local university, but I will spare you the long story why she didn't succeed. She is a bright student but other factors got in the way. And I am still not sure I want to send her out. It is still a dillema as I said.

irecon,
I understand what you are saying , and I thank you for the sincere words, but our circumstances are a bit different from yours. And in any case, I am still thinking about what to do next. The financial part is not even high in the list of factors. But it is a factor to be planned for IF sending her is the only option left.

#226950 - 06/30/11 03:51 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

$ 70,000 for first year ????

You are right.
I really cannot afford this kind of money.

#226964 - 06/30/11 01:50 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Seriously now - if you want to assess whether you can afford to buy a car in the US or UK, would you base your costs on the price of a Mercedes or a Rolls Royce? Harvard at $70k/yr costs a fair bit more than almost any other medical school in the world.

You would be better off looking at in state tuition to medical schools where you live, and also consider general costs of out of state tuition if your daughter chooses another location. For example in state tuition to the University of Washington Med School is around $13,500, out of state tuition approximately $32,000. Its difficult to generalize on costs across all medical schools, but US med school tends to be expensive, and most med students take out loans, which (hopefully) they repay in later years when they earn a good salary.

One other interesting US trend is a number of med students are older, in their 30s - they're becoming doctors later in life, after a first career doing something else. If your daughter had issues earlier in her (pre-med?) studies, it may be a sign that she's not prepared to go to med school right now. No worries - I would appreciate if my doctor came to medicine a little later in life with more maturity and a better sense of why they want to do the job, instead of slotting right into the work right out of college, not entirely sure whether its a good profession for them. Kids go into professions for the strangest reasons sometimes.

#226968 - 06/30/11 02:41 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Having just graduated from medical school 2 years ago...

Applying for med school is your first cost; figure roughly $50 per school for the primary application, another $100ish for a secondary if she gets it, then whatever travel/housing if she gets an interview. Applications are done through AACOMAS, AMCAS, or if you're looking at Texas, they have their own "we're special" application service. Depending how good/bad her grades are, she may be applying more than on year. If she hasn't taken her MCAT yet, there's another cost.

Most US public in-state tuitions range from 15K-30K annually. Figure another 2-3K for books and supplies, plus whatever living costs she's going to have (close to 1500/mo in a city, 500 in a rural area). Private schools go from about 30-60K annually; I think Tufts in Boston has the highest tuition of any private school, at about $66K/year. So, you're figuring, ballpark somewhere between $40-60K/year total for a decent school.

No idea on UK.

Yes, out of country schools are cheaper. I can't comment on quality of education, but several Caribbean schools send their students back to the US for their third and fourth years, so if she's looking at those options, it's something to consider (as well as moving costs!).

However, there's also a lot more hoops to go through when you graduate from a foreign medical school (FMS) if you want to practice in the US. She'll need to do her homework on that - even if she goes to a first world country like Canada or the UK.

Boards are also pricey. You can look up prices, but don't be suprised to pay about $1K for step 1, another $1-2K for step 2 (it includes a real-life portion), both of which are required for graduation.

Then of course, she'll have to start paying loans off once she's an intern, making around $30k/year for her residency period. After, of course, applying through ERAS and their chunk of change...

Seeing a trend yet?

Edited by MDinana (06/30/11 02:43 PM)

#226971 - 06/30/11 03:26 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: MDinana]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
No idea on UK.

Course fees for the University of Dundee Medical School for overseas students are;

School of Medicine
MBChB Pre-clinical £16750 ($26,921)
MBChB Clinical £25500 ($40,984)
BMSc (1 year) £12000 ($19,288)

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/registry/main/com/fees/20112/ugo.htm

Students from England now have to pay around £9000 for all undergraduate courses including Medical degree course fees (attending Scottish universities such as Edinburgh and Dundee Medical Schools) and students from Scotland will not pay fees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13951685

I guess the main difference between the Medical education in the UK and the USA is that education for the treatment of penetrating gun shot wounds is sorely lacking in the UK unless you happen to be studying at a London or Manchester Medical School. wink The Scottish NHS ethos (such as free prescriptions for everyone) might be a bit of a downer though if the aim of becoming a medical professional is about maximising your own personal wealth.

The University of St Andrews Medical School might be worthwhile investigating simply because of its location and size and the relaxed atmosphere whilst studying there (very little distraction to study). They have been teaching Medicine there for about 600 years.

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.aspx

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/30/11 03:37 PM)

#226974 - 06/30/11 04:56 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
No idea on UK.

The University of St Andrews Medical School might be worthwhile investigating simply because of its location and size and the relaxed atmosphere whilst studying there (very little distraction to study). They have been teaching Medicine there for about 600 years.

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.aspx

Given the state of medicine 600 years ago, I'm not sure that's a stellar point to be advertising wink

Sorry, had to get you back for the gunshot comment! (In med school, I did a trauma month - 12 in one day was the record!)

#226985 - 06/30/11 07:46 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: ireckon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
That is a lesson I did not learn....On the hook for 40K-plus 'cuz she can't find a job to pay the $535-a-month. Any job I get the first $550-plus is not even mine....Life sucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.