Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226998 - 06/30/11 10:18 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Depends. If the desire it that she gets trained to run medicine as a profit making business and make big bucks the US medical schools lead the pack. If the goal is that she gets trained to practice medicine to benefit patients with a much lesser emphasis, and expectation, of making large profits, then schools in the UK would be the better choice.

It also has to be pointed out that most US medical schools are set up to to operate on student loans that that are set up to be repaid upon completion of residency. Most newly minted doctors start with several hundred thousand dollars in debt. Debt that can be used to excuse higher prices.

The schools in the UK, as I understand it, leave the new doctors far less burdened, and far less concerned with financial issues.

#226999 - 06/30/11 11:27 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Lots of approaches available. Lots of scholarships available. US Public Health Service will help pay off loan in exchange for service in a designated medically undeserved area. Military will pay for medical school with similar indenture. Stepwise progression-bachelors in nursing or anything, really, followed by 2 year masters leading to advanced nurse practitioner or physicians assistant license. Medical schools are less expensive in countries where physicians are paid less. I have worked with superb physicians and surgeons who received medical education in India, Pakistan, Russia, Poland, Belgium, Italy, and England. See MDinan's comments regarding FMG issues. Y'all need a guidance counselor-Has daughter completed a pre-med bachelors degree?

#227019 - 07/01/11 10:27 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

mmmm , lots of thoughts for my tired brain
Need to re-read them to absorb some

I like it that there are few distractions from study in St Andrews Medical School. So, I will ask a related question

Where are the best areas in the US and UK for VERY peaceful living for a college student. That means no hurricanes, floods , earthquakes, and very low crime.

#227020 - 07/01/11 11:05 AM Re: Question about colleges [Re: ]
NAro Offline
Addict

I can't agree with your advice, Izzy:
Your International Medical School Graduate (IMG) Plastic surgeon is quite an exception at $5 million annual income. The national average income for plastic/reconstructive/cosmetic surgeons is closer to $400 K, with the highest reported income in a recent survey around $800 K.

IMG's are at a significant disadvantage in finding a residency program in the U.S. It is unfair, discriminatory, etc. But studies published as recently as last year indicate that the discrimination exists and an IMG is going to have a harder time than a U.S.graduate. I won't argue with you about your statement that "medical school is the same everywhere".. I haven't seen the data one way or another on that. BUT, the perception that IMG are inferior to U.S. programs HAS made it an uphill slog for international graduates.

Finaly, ... COST: Students of foreign medical schools graduate with higher average debt, $235,000 compared to the average $158,000 owed by graduates of U.S. medical schools, according to an August report to Congress by regulators.

If there is any way for the OP's child to go to a U.S. Medical School rather than an offshore one, I think she should.

#227034 - 07/01/11 02:49 PM Re: Question about colleges [Re: Chisel]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Izzy, I would be in the thick of it... but I went military. So they interrupted my residency to let me play doctor over here in the sandbox right now.

In fact, I'm a D.O. too. Yes, there's still some discrimination in the US, but technically we're equivalent in every state to an M.D. "Not hiring" DO's is likely cause for a lawsuit. More likely, the state isn't super DO-friendly, ie harder to get a license and stuff, so there aren't a lot of DO's in the area. The downside of a DO degree is that it's not as internationally accepted as an MD degree, if you're looking for that.

Chisel, there are LOTS of places that are fine. I mean, there's probably over 100 medical schools in the US. They aren't all in the festering armpits of an inner city! I went to school in the midwest, a population of about 20K. Minus the ice storm and occasional tornado, it was fine (in fact, the tornado hit about 2 days before graduation, when I wasn't in town). Most states have at least one school; Alaska, Idaho and Montana being exceptions I can think of. However, a lot of the states in the pacific northwest won't take out-of-area students, since the schools in Washington and Oregon typically have agreements with those other states to take students from there.

https://www.aamc.org/about/medicalschools/
Your new best friend

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 658 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.