Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#223154 - 05/08/11 01:32 PM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I can get by with three, washing them after wearing for a day, whether they need it or not. That makes one pair on the feet, one pair drying, one ready to wear. With all that washing, sometimes I will even scrub the feet...

#223170 - 05/08/11 07:11 PM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clothing seems a really good place to start. I might add a bag of work clothes, shoes and spare glasses in the garage.

#223172 - 05/08/11 07:28 PM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
With all that washing, sometimes I will even scrub the feet...

LOL!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223185 - 05/08/11 11:29 PM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The Extra socks are there because they are usually 3-6 pairs in a pack and come in handy for more then just as socks. Also I wouldnt wanna wear ankle socks in the winter or tall socks with shorts. No one says you gotta look out of your normal dress routine with your spare clothing. If Im using them to stay in a friends house or hotel venturing out to stores, going out to eat so on and so forth youd wanna look and smell decent smile I will most likely modify it more to have clothing for "survival" bugging out and clothing for emergency bugging out.

#223214 - 05/09/11 05:50 AM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: Frisket]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

What you listed sounds almost identical to a typical "light traveler" packing list, and is very similar to what I have packed in my bag right now (as I sit in my hotel room) I do a lot of last minute overseas traveling, so a bag like this is very useful.

Duckear posted a link to onebag, it's a good reference for anybody that does a lot of traveling. An experienced traveler can pretty much live indefinitely out of the contents of one bag. With a few additions you can expand your "Everyman's" kit to cover those cases where you don't need to survive in the wilderness, but you don't have a place to stay either. I'm thinking of being stuck overnight at an airport or rest stop, or in some cases having a full day layover but no hotel room to go to.

The key to minimizing what you need to carry is to have items that can serve multiple purposes and clothes that dry quickly. If that's not possible, certain clothes are more comfortable when damp. Avoid cotton in any form because it will never dry.

What kind of socks are you packing? If you get a few pairs of wools socks you can probably minimize the number of pairs you need. Even in hot humid climates I prefer thin wool socks to cotton sport socks.

Instead of a full bath towel, maybe look into those camp towels which is essentially a car chamois. It takes up much less space and is lighter and drys a lot faster. Also, they can be used to speed up clothes drying by rolling wet clothes in it and pressing out most of the moisture.

Why do you need 6 cotton handkerchiefs and 2 bandanas?

In the toiletries, I would also add a travel size pack of tissues. Could take the place of the handkerchiefs, plus not every bathroom is always re-stocked with TP the minute they run out

Hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes are also very useful if you don't have access to running water.

I normally don't carry much soap, let alone 4 bars of it. if you have running water soap is not really necessary, but one travel size bar last quite a long time.

1 pair of sweat pants is more versatile than a pair of pajamas.

A good fleece sweater or down jacket is always nice to have, if only to use as a pillow on a park bench or a friends floor.

#223221 - 05/09/11 10:01 AM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: ducktapeguy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I find I can dispense with even a travel towel, using only a bandanna after first flicking off water from a shower, then using the bandanna for a final rubdown.

Bandannas are very handy, versatile items. When traveling, I usually carry two, although one will get me by.

#226590 - 06/24/11 03:38 PM Re: Clothing based Everymans BOB [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Something like an overnight bag; clothes, shoes, toiletries, meds, a book...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 334 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.