Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
What is the purpose of the pre-flush other then perhaps clearing debris?

My two cents: typically the first water washed / flushed from a catchment system / roof is loaded with settled dust, insects, bird poop, miscellaneaous organic material, and pollution particles that you do not want to drink. Rather than overburden and possibly clog a filtration system with the initial dirty water load, you let it drain or flush away for a while before the presumably cleaner water is captured.

Exactly. It reduces the effort of purification later on.
-Blast

Ok, I had thought the purpose of the water barrels would be for lawn, garden watering etc. I did not think that the water in the barrels would be for drinking. My main concern would be the leaching of the chemicals in the roofing materials such as the petro-chemicals used in most asphalt shingles. How would you filter this out and make the water safer for drinking?

The water is mainly for the plants and flushing toilets if needed. I have a Big Berkey water filter system that will supposedly take out most chemicals. I also have the ability to distill water.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.