Hmm. Not replying to anyone in this thread in particular. Just want to point something out:

I'm a man. While not during disasters, I have often camped and hiked alone. I have never had any trouble meeting other solo campers, either in public campsites, or in the backcountry. Both men and women. Some have become close friends after chance meetings on the trail, and others I've never heard from again. One became a long-time girlfriend. All made the trip more interesting.

Every time, it has also made the trip more comfortable. Invariably, we each made different packing decisions, and were able to share food (making dinner more interesting), share camp cleanup responsibilities, and once, share guard duties against a recalcitrant and creative black bear that really wanted to get to our food that we had hung as well as possible.

I guess my point is that not all guys alone in the wilderness need to be feared (I like to think of myself as one, and I 'm sure most of the men on this forum would fall into the same category). And teaming up has the potential to make life much easier and safer.