Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226099 - 06/17/11 12:05 PM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: jzmtl]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you plan on using kerosine in a Dietz lamp, you might check out some of the recommendations on the W.T. Kirkman site...

#226111 - 06/17/11 02:27 PM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Thanks, I test fired the stove last night. Self priming with kerosene is pretty hard, definitely could use alcohol priming. It doesn't "burst" into flames like other fuel does (extremely difficult to light with firesteel), but sort of going on a candle flame on only part of the priming pad, then after a while the entire pad lights up with a very sooty flame. Once going though it's pretty nice, though the flame on this particular stove is a bit yellow. Maybe the omnifuel with its exchangeable jet will cope better.

Going to need a few more practices before I can get the hang of it.

#226356 - 06/21/11 11:52 PM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I prime with alcohol. Don't use kerosene for priming, it creates nasty ill-smelling smoke and lots of soot, which will cause your stove to need more maintenance (cleaning) than otherwise.

Kerosene (a.k.a. paraffin) burns nice and clean when burned in a stove designed for it and well maintained. I've never had issues with sooth on pots or bad smell.
What he said.

Kero is actually one of the best fuels for stoves provided that you get good quality fuel (K-1 in the US and I think Canada), prime the stove well with alcohol, and keep a pricker handy.

Kero is much safer than white gasoline (much higher flash point, not prone to flash fires) and is available worldwide (whereas white gasoline is not).

On the other hand, if kero leaks in your pack, it'll leave a stain and a smell where as white gasoline will often dry up without a trace.

It takes a little bit of practice to get the hang of kero, but anyone used to using white gasoline shouldn't have any trouble.

HJ

#226361 - 06/22/11 12:32 AM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I'm worried about the crap they add to the engine fuel with those, some of those are pretty toxic. Otherwise I could just burn unleaded gas, which ironically is the cheapest.
In general, unleaded doesn't work as well as white gasoline for stove use, even on stoves that claim unleaded as one of the fuels that they are designed for.

Most of the time, unleaded will leave more deposits behind, and, at the very least, you'll need to clean your stove more often. If a given stove says it is white gasoline only, then I wouldn't even try unleaded. If a given stove says it can burn unleaded, I still would burn mostly white gasoline and only use unleaded in a pinch. YMMV.

The only stove I've seen that seems to have some credibility to it's claims of running equally well on white gasoline or unleaded is the Soto Muka which uses atomization to achieve a very clean burn.

HJ

#226364 - 06/22/11 12:41 AM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Thanks, I test fired the stove last night. Self priming with kerosene is pretty hard, definitely could use alcohol priming. It doesn't "burst" into flames like other fuel does (extremely difficult to light with firesteel), but sort of going on a candle flame on only part of the priming pad, then after a while the entire pad lights up with a very sooty flame. Once going though it's pretty nice, though the flame on this particular stove is a bit yellow. Maybe the omnifuel with its exchangeable jet will cope better.

Going to need a few more practices before I can get the hang of it.
How do you like your Brunton vapor AF? From the photos I've seen of them, they look like a really nice stove. Isn't the stove supposed to be adjustable for various types of fuel? I think that one adjusts the air flow, yes?

The Omnifuel with it's multiple jets should do pretty well for you on kerosene. The trick with kerosene is to use a smaller jet orifice so that the fuel/air mixture has more air in it which is necessary to combust a heavier fuel like kero. If you try kero on an Omnifuel, I'd be interested in hearing your results.

HJ

#226382 - 06/22/11 02:31 AM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

On the other hand, if kero leaks in your pack, it'll leave a stain and a smell where as white gasoline will often dry up without a trace.

Leaked kero will also eat through an expensive jacket shell. Ask me how I know...

John Lubbock

#226385 - 06/22/11 02:53 AM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Leaked kero will also eat through an expensive jacket shell. Ask me how I know...

Ouch! eek

#226397 - 06/22/11 06:19 AM Re: Anybody using kerosene as stove fuel? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
A tiny bit of kerosene in your food or drink will have a rather unpleasant effect on your digestive system. You will spend a few hours in the squatting position. On the positive side, you could say that you've had a hard core "detox" cure (for free).

Bottom line: Take care to keep fuel and food well separated.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.