>>how bad is the checked luggage problem? <<<br><br>I have flown 2-3 trips per year for many years and have had luggage delayed only once, and that was on my homeward leg after volunteering to be bumped from an overbooked plane at the last minute. Since I was going home, I didn't really need anything in the suitcase, which was delivered to my door the next day. I have also never had anything stolen from my luggage and I don't lock my suitcases. I also don't usually check anything too tempting to theives.<br><br>Based on my own experience, I'm not too worried about the checked baggage problem, although problems are always a possibility and for people who fly every week or two, it is almost inevitable that they will have a problem eventually.<br><br>I would just check the blade in the luggage, but leave the several-hundred-dollar knife at home. I doubt mailing or shipping a knife is any more reliable than checking it. Plus, if you check it, you have access to it immediately at the other airport.<br><br>Maybe rental car companies will start a rental knife program.