Thanks gang. He slowly being introduced to knife, fire, map and compass, and water purification. As he learns to use each item safely we can add it in.
Good call on the platform compass Hikermor. He still doesn't understand "red fred in his shed" but we're working on it.

Great idea about the sponge, Frisket! I've been trying to think of another water procurement method for him, besides bandana over mouth of water bottlewhich he knows. A sponge is a great idea.

Great ideas as well Les Richlacal! Coins, cordage, shears, gloves, LED, laminated info card, tape, pliars, more code card... So many ideas in so little time.

I hear ya dweste. He's learned that cold and wet means sick and maybe dead, he knows that getting out of his wet clothes is vital if it's cool and/or windy, and he knows that dark means colder. PFD with attached whistle and LED are an absolute must for everyone in the boat. When we're on the water, he also has a seperate daypack with a sealed dry bag inside that includes a change of clothes, warm sweater, more snacks and a mini tent. Without fire, dry clothes and shelter are absolute musts. In fact, that knowledge is why he added the wool socks and mylar bag instead of just the blanket.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA