Except for the extreme glare of snow or big water, I do not like and do not wear sunglasses.

On land the color distortion and lessened light created by sunglasses reduce my ability to see the sometimes subtle patterns and colors of nature, which might be critical in a survival situation [missing the food plants and animals, or stepping on the rattlesnake in the grass or leaves]. Sunglasses also are unwelcome when they prolong the visual adjustment time in moving through transition areas from relative dark and to relative light, and vice versa.

On big water I need to see the colors of buoys, lights, and water without the color shifts that most sunglasses create. I wear sunglasses only if the glare is extreme enough to make seeing clearly difficult, or I want to sight fish.

While I own and occasionally try shooting glasses with different color lenses, ditto with clip-ons for my blended trifocal prescription glasses, what I fall back on is clear polarized lenses with UV coating and a broad-brimmed hat.

Edited by dweste (06/03/11 03:39 PM)