Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#225755 - 06/12/11 04:37 AM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Susan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The car is irrelevant; hardware comes and goes. The big deal is that you are willingly granting/lending this person your insurance. Regardless of the situation, you (and your insurer) are fully liable for whatever happens with your vehicle. That's the part that should utterly freak you out.

#225764 - 06/12/11 02:15 PM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the worst case scenario, you are obviously not able to travel, despite what you would like to do or think you are obligated to do. So many situations are worsened when people just blindly push ahead because of some "schedule" (plane flights or the like) when they really need to adjust their objectives and their plans.

If I am stuck in an earthquake zone in freeing rain, low on gas, with inadequate shoes and a skanky companion, my SO is just going to recover from surgery on her own until things improve on my end. Actually is she is home from surgery, that is pretty good. It would be worse case if she were just undergoing surgery. BTDT.

#225776 - 06/12/11 05:43 PM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I think I end up on foot in this scenario. Carrying my GHB and as much other gear from my car as I could. Sounds like there would be many others in the same situation and what working roads there were would be congested anyway. (Now I'm looking at Chisel's "Possible Scenario".)

My $500 car isn't going to be attractive to very many people anyway, and my insurance company would probably be happier paying damages sustained while it was parked than being driven after I loaned it to someone else. If they want it, go ahead and steal it and good luck!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225785 - 06/12/11 06:36 PM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Susan

Eighty miles after a major quake could probably take three or four times that in actual traveled distance. You're going to be climbing over debris, hiking around totally destroyed areas, backtracking, avoiding stuff still falling with every aftershock, etc. There isn't likely to be even 50 feet in a straight line.
Sue

Okay, so if you cannot even barely walk through the downed debris, how would you think attempting to drive a vehicle would fare any better then being on foot? Given your above description, walking would be a much better option.

John Lubbock

#225841 - 06/13/11 04:06 AM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
The big deal is that you are willingly granting/lending this person your insurance.

Here in the U.S., I understand that even if your car is stolen, the insurance company assumes you 'lent' it to the thieves, and once they pay for the damage they caused, they cancel your policy.

So if you lend it to someone, or someone steals it, it sounds like the outcome would be the same.

#225842 - 06/13/11 04:08 AM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:
Okay, so if you cannot even barely walk through the downed debris, how would you think attempting to drive a vehicle would fare any better then being on foot? Given your above description, walking would be a much better option.

My point was that the freeway is more likely to be clear of the amount of debris (excepting collapsed overpasses) that the city streets would be filled with.

Sue

#225843 - 06/13/11 04:26 AM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Quote:
If I am stuck in an earthquake zone in freeing rain, low on gas, with inadequate shoes and a skanky companion, my SO is just going to recover from surgery on her own until things improve on my end.

It's been three months since the biggie hit northern Japan. How's the travel situation there? Have they got it all tidied up and back to business as usual?

I wonder just how long your wait would be?

Sue

#225848 - 06/13/11 09:08 AM Re: The hard way or the easy way? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Susan

I wonder just how long your wait would be?

Sue

Who knows? A lot of variables involved. When the situations comes, I will deal with it.

Interesting question about the situation in Japan. Since we are not hearing about it, I guess (and that is the right word) that it is something like semi normal, such that urgent travel is possible. Does anyone know for sure?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 352 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.