Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#224676 - 05/30/11 06:21 PM Relearn to tie your shoes a better way.
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL

#224677 - 05/30/11 06:36 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
If your shoe laces break you can use them with a fraction of the original length by tying a knot in one end and threading them through the holes.
qjs

#224688 - 05/30/11 07:53 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Yes, that's a common mistake. He ties a Granny at 1:14. He ties a Reef at 1:50. The knots look similar, but a Reef holds. A Granny does not.

#224698 - 05/30/11 09:03 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! To think I've been doing it all wrong for 40 years! grin

#224737 - 05/31/11 10:51 AM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Granny knot versus square knot?

#224751 - 05/31/11 12:32 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
one of those simple things, to make corporate America think outside the box. I used to do the same with a banana. I'd hand out two bananas in a crowd, ask each of them to open it, a simple thing. The follow up command was that they couldn't use the normal method of snapping the stem with their fingers. Usually they would cut it in half with a pocket knife, or bite into the shaft to rip open the skin, or mutilate it, things that just sort of defeated eating a banana like you normally would but was funny to observe because isn't there only one way to peel a banana? I turned it upside down and ripped off the bottom (now top) of the banana and it would peel exactly like ripping the stem off. The user now, in one fell swoop discards the little brown stem at the base of the banana that no one eats anyway and the (inverted) stem makes a handy dandy organic 'stick' to eat the banana like a Popsicle.

#224753 - 05/31/11 01:03 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Yup, I've been doing it the wrong way for over 30 years now. One of our older business partners who comes by the office has been trying to retrain me to do it this way for several years now. It's hard to break 30+ years of training, no matter how "wrong" it is. He called the first way tying a granny knot, and the second he called a square knot. Knot (pun intended laugh ) really sure what the second knot is called but he called it a square knot. At any rate, unlearning to tie the granny knot all the time is tough. When I'm in a hurry I seem to always fall back on that granny knot.

#224779 - 05/31/11 04:50 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: comms]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: comms
I turned it upside down and ripped off the bottom (now top) of the banana and it would peel exactly like ripping the stem off. The user now, in one fell swoop discards the little brown stem at the base of the banana that no one eats anyway and the (inverted) stem makes a handy dandy organic 'stick' to eat the banana like a Popsicle.

How do you rip open the bottom of the banana without mutilating it?

#224807 - 05/31/11 07:43 PM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: ajax]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: ajax
Originally Posted By: comms
I turned it upside down and ripped off the bottom (now top) of the banana and it would peel exactly like ripping the stem off. The user now, in one fell swoop discards the little brown stem at the base of the banana that no one eats anyway and the (inverted) stem makes a handy dandy organic 'stick' to eat the banana like a Popsicle.

How do you rip open the bottom of the banana without mutilating it?

hijack mode on
here's how
hijack mode off

#224836 - 06/01/11 01:05 AM Re: Relearn to tie your shoes a better way. [Re: GarlyDog]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
However it happened, this is the way (direction around the bow) that I was taught. I'll thank my mother the next time I am on the phone with her. Thanks the for link.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 745 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.