I am intrigued by the suggestions in the paper I cited for evaluating searcher effectiveness in the field as a basis for calculating various higher percentage search strategies in different types of terrain, etc. Use of standard targets, such as a blaze orange glove and a balloon-filled black 55 gallon plastic bag, placed in a standard pattern, in various weather conditions, terrains, etcetera, and then getting accurate reports of searcher detection numbers of these targets, perhaps within a fixed time versus all daylight time available, etcetera.

More specifically for trackers, standardized human foot track numbers and patterns could be developed and set out by a tracking trainer as the targets. Perhaps there could also be standardized signs other than human foot tracks, also placed in a standardized set of locations in the search area.

Following along those lines, it seems possible to evaluate searcher skill levels, the value / benefit of adding search dogs, ditto for humans trained in various tracking disciplines. This would begin to create a somewhat reliable way of grading, and providing feedback to, the personnel and animals involved.

I wonder if we are ready for this!

Edited by dweste (05/18/11 09:13 PM)