The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223179 - 05/08/11 10:13 PM Almost a 7 year old's first campfire
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We celebrated Mother's Day with a hike through a local marshland today.

When we reached the beach a couple of hours later, we decided to have a campfire. My son brought his pocket knife so we thought we'd let him have a go at the fire steel.

He almost got it but, when the sparks started, he was a little too nervous to get close enough.

So, Dad stepped in to show him how it's done while I manned the camera.

He was thrilled when it got going, and said "It's like magic!" Too bad we forgot the hotdogs and marshmallows. He might have stayed there all day but we still had a 2 hour hike back to the car.

Best Mother's Day EVER!!

P.S. Since I know my fellow ETSers, here's a pic of his knife. It's an Olympia, made-in-China-bought-at-a-local-military-surplus-store special. It's nothing special but ok for his first, only used with direct supervision sharp. It has one blade, a can/bottle opener, a fork, a spook and the two halves come apart so he can use the knife and fork at the same time with two hands.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/08/11 10:46 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223180 - 05/08/11 10:37 PM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Very nice. Thanks for sharing, and HMD!

#223181 - 05/08/11 10:47 PM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Dweste!

#223183 - 05/08/11 11:13 PM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Learning how to handle and respect fire young is a good thing. Just a few suggestions, Id Snag a Striker from firesteel.com since a knife can slip off and bite into a steel so easily and make sure you take a toothbrush to the joints of that knife where food loves to hide. I stoped using flatware with any form of scales on them after I found nastieness under a slightly lifted plastic scale on a fork.

#223184 - 05/08/11 11:21 PM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Frisket. It's cleaning time in a few minutes. wink Good mom!

He tried the striker that came with the firesteel but couldn't get a good grip. I duct taped a little grip on it but he was determined to use his own knife. I picked a set up from the Scout Shop, that has a simulated antler handle. He's tried that one before and it worked well enough but that one was in my other pack. frown Bad mom!

The real lessons were the fire lay and nursing it after we got the tinder going. He got the bird's nest idea for tinder but wanted to skip right to logs once that got going. It's been a while since our last campfire so he forgot that we weren't going to get a roaring fire from the first spark. Patience Grasshoppr! wink

Edited by bacpacjac (05/09/11 12:49 AM)

#223186 - 05/08/11 11:34 PM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Super-Scraper.html

Using the hole and possibly drilling another underneath the end of the metal striker threw the plastic im betting you can attach it to something such as a chunk of broomstick or wooden dowel with screws. Id be sure to test this method out yourself with leather gloves on to make sure it works and is safely secured.

#223190 - 05/09/11 12:18 AM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Awesome! Thanks Frisket!!

#223194 - 05/09/11 12:59 AM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Foraging was a great lesson. There was lots of driftwood on the beach but we've had rain almost every day lately until yesterday so a lot of what we found was damp. We scraped up some bark we found and added it to some dried plants to make tinder. It didn't take long to make a nice little tinder bundle.

He thought he could strike it in the fire lay but soon discovered that he knocked everything over when he got close enough to land the sparks in it. Dad showed him how to light the tinder bundle seperately, get it going, and then transfer it into to the bigger stuff.

Then he learned about the fire triangle, feeding the little fire with enough fuel to keep it going, small stuff first, without smothering it, until there was enough heat to put on some bigger stuff.

#223200 - 05/09/11 01:56 AM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: bacpacjac]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
He should have used that Flames hat for tinder.

While I am a Dallas Stars fan at heart, that far north, I have to say, GO HABS!

RIP OBG

#223223 - 05/09/11 10:50 AM Re: Almost a 7 year old's first campfire [Re: Desperado]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Desperado
He should have used that Flames hat for tinder.

LOL!! He only likes them for the logo. He likes flamejobs. He'd much rather play hockey than watch it. He's a road hockey warrior.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 607 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.