The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222642 - 05/01/11 10:22 PM WalMart
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Does it seem to you guys that WalMart has started stocking more backpacking, camping, survival type stuff the last couple years?

I wonder if that reflect people being out of work and not having money for expensive vacations, or maybe it runs a little deeper. Maybe there is just more interest in have some level of preparedness, without actually having to use that word.

Today when I was there I noticed they have added some inexpensive water filter straws and water filter bottles.

Bob

#222644 - 05/01/11 10:37 PM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
WalMart carries what sells. If it doesn't sell, they drop it. If one of the reasons people are buying is fear, WM will take their money. When they stop buying, WM will drop the products.

Follow the money.

Sue

#222740 - 05/02/11 09:58 PM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I think it's just a matter of them trying new products. Maybe the vendor sold them on it. I've learned over the years that if I find something I really like only at Wal-Mart I better buy as much of it as I can use because they'll drop or change the product in a year or two. That's just how they are - always trying to cut costs.

If you're really interested in Wal-Mart, the 'pickle' and 'lawnmower' stories are interesting reads:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/102/open_snapper.html

#222754 - 05/02/11 10:51 PM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
I just heard a news story on the radio this past weekend that many WMs that used to carry firearms several years ago are going to start selling them again.

buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#222758 - 05/02/11 11:42 PM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I recently went to my walmart a few days ago and noticed they starting to carry a larger amount of camp supplies and are slowly weeding out and organizing products. Their Ozark Trail Brand Which Repackages Many other brands such as Coghlans is starting to attempt to match the other major stores such as gander mountains Stansport brand that does the same thing.

Some of the new items I noticed them carrying is more Kitchen ware items from Coleman and more "survival" related items such as a Ozark trail squeeze water bottle filtration system. I noticed they are selling Coleman brand 9 hour tempered candles for if I remember correctly like 2-3$ which is the best price I have seen in a awhile for the style of candle.

One Thing I can say is I Highly doubt any time soon I will find many of the items I own From purchases online and in Gander/Dicks/Basspro But for many things that need constant replacing You cant beat the prices at wally world.

#222780 - 05/03/11 04:09 AM Re: WalMart [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
WalMart carries what sells. If it doesn't sell, they drop it. If one of the reasons people are buying is fear, WM will take their money. When they stop buying, WM will drop the products.

Follow the money.

Sue

That is true of most, if not all, businesses. The big change I've seen at discount stores is in the general quality of the merchandise. Yes, you can still get those cheap $2 D-Cell flashlights that have to be smack around to make work, and regularly to keep them shining. They have gotten better. Those units used to come with carbon-lead batteries that gave good light, when the flashlight allowed, for about five minutes and an hour of 'mood lighting'. Now they come with alkaline cells so you get an hour of good light. Still crappy flashlights but better.

Which tells the story of manufacturing. Generally the average quality has greatly improved across the line over the last thirty years. I remember when a discount store pocket knife were mostly cheap Pakistani stainless that refused to hold an edge no matter how you sharpened it.

The low end is still on sale but the average quality has improved and they now carry some mid-high quality merchandise and the cost of quality has gone down. People really should spend some time looking over what they, and Target, and all the other discount stores, carry. Give some of the items a try and you might be happily surprised at the functionality you can get for a discount price. This is made easier because all the major discounters have very easy return policies. Most will accept an occasional credit back to your credit card without complaint. I wouldn't equip an entire family camping trip and then return it but they are wiling to let you try stuff and return it.

Many of those who object the loudest about the supposed lack of usability and quality are clearly people who have not given them a close look. They have not given them a shot. They are comparing what they imagine a discount store sells, often based on opinions formed twenty years ago, with what they imagine quality, quality produced in the same Chinese factory as the discount unit, to be.

It has to be pointed out, and I'm well aware of it, that the stuff they sell is not going to be exotic or more competent and high quality than might be required for a family outing or scout jamboree. For you next summit attempt on K-2 you might get your Leatherman Wave at Wally but you won't be getting your sleeping bag or tent there.

That said they do sell tents at discount prices that are suitable for long weekends and two or three season use. And those same units will work just fine for living among the ruins for a couple of weeks after a hurricane.

Buy carefully. Take the merchandise out of the packaging and look closely. You have to be willing to put in the effort to get quality at a discount price. Take it home. Put it through its paces. If you don't think you got a bargain you simply take it back. No fuss, no muss.

#222786 - 05/03/11 05:08 AM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
WM will often pick up a well-known brand and sell it for a while, and the vendor is thrilled to get the exposure at such a high-volume chain.

Then they discover that they have to deal with WM strictly on WM's terms, and the glow wears off quickly. The vendor either starts funneling all their 'seconds' to WM, or they start producing a lower-quality product so they can take the financial losses that WM demands for the 'honor' of dealing with them.

So, if you see something you like that looks good, don't dawdle around deciding, get it, try it, and go from there. If you come back a few months later, what you saw the last time may have 'degenerated' in quality somewhat. Sometime later you will probably find the original has disappeared and there will be a cheap WM pseudo-clone in its place.

Caveat emptor (esp used car dealers and WM).

Sue

#222792 - 05/03/11 07:07 AM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I Agree 100% with Susan. I no longer buy important items and electronics at walmart because of this. Most items they get apparently are items that JUST barely squeaked by passing quality control. The Buck 119 I purchased from there had scuffs scratches and the hand guard is loose. Didnt really expect it from buck but considering the source of purchase i wasnt surprised.

#223049 - 05/06/11 12:06 PM Re: WalMart [Re: Susan]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Susan
WM will often pick up a well-known brand and sell it for a while, and the vendor is thrilled to get the exposure at such a high-volume chain.

Then they discover that they have to deal with WM strictly on WM's terms, and the glow wears off quickly. The vendor either starts funneling all their 'seconds' to WM, or they start producing a lower-quality product so they can take the financial losses that WM demands for the 'honor' of dealing with them.

So, if you see something you like that looks good, don't dawdle around deciding, get it, try it, and go from there. If you come back a few months later, what you saw the last time may have 'degenerated' in quality somewhat. Sometime later you will probably find the original has disappeared and there will be a cheap WM pseudo-clone in its place.

Caveat emptor (esp used car dealers and WM).

Sue

You're right, and the venerable Buck 119 Special knife is one example. Most outlets sell them for around $55 -$59. They often come in a heavy hang package with a high quality leather sheath beside the knife. I was surprised to see the Buck 119 at Walmart for $10 less than anywhere else. I picked up the package to examine it, and I noticed that the sheath (now packaged behind the knife) was made of 'ballistic' nylon cloth. I'm not judging the merits of nylon vs leather, but pointing out that a high quality leather sheath is more expensive than a ballistic nylon one. You get what you pay for.

#223058 - 05/06/11 03:27 PM Re: WalMart [Re: ILBob]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
If you watch model numbers closely many electronics manufacturers will make a special model for sale at places like WalMart that is cheaper than a VERY similar model sold elsewhere. You have to decide if the difference in specs and/or quality is worth the price break. Many people don't notice and assume it's the same model they saw elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
05/31/24 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.