So, let me get this right... For $30 less you can buy a single mode flashlight than a similarly sized one that has high, medium and low settings. And you are using a model that doesn't appear to be available, and when it was it was from a brand that had quality issues (I bought two Nuwai lights, and sent them back as they were DOA- if you've had good luck, congratulations).

That's like saying you can buy a single Harbour Freight screwdriver for less than the cost of a quality multitool. Yes, yes you can. You can also make tire sandals for a lot less than buying a good pair of boots, if money is the only object and not capability.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but you are comparing apples and pears here. I'm not saying that you can't get a good light for $20 at this point, you just can't get as much light.

If we want to compare a Fenix apple to a big box apple, let's try this one: the Fenix E01 to a Maglite Solitaire. Both are about the same size, both run on a single AAA, and have exactly one operating mode. I have three E01s, I paid $12-12.50 depending on where I bought them (1 EDC, 1 bug out bag, and one spare in my knife case). I can get a new Solitaire for about $8, and no shipping, but I've retired a number of them. The E01 is brighter (brighter than the standard Mini-Mag, to). The E01 has a much longer battery life. The E01 has no protection over the LED, but I've abused mine in ways that can and has killed Solitaires. The Solitaire does not pass the shower test where I put it on a neck lanyard and take a shower, nor did they like being submerged or run over by a vehicle; the E01 likes it all and the finish is barely even scratched. And being in the front pocket of my EDC bag, it has been slamed and dropped in ways that will kill a regular bulb that has never taken a current.

Actually, I would say that the only entry in Mag's inventory that I would put on par with the E01 in terms of brightness and cost is the Mini-mag, which is several times larger and heavier, costs a little more than twice as much to feed, and is rather a bit more fragile.

Keeping in mind that the only thing I'll ever need to replace on my little Fenix are batteries and maybe O-rings, for more cost, I'd say it is worthwhile.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.