Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#222476 - 04/29/11 01:14 AM Re: Number of +100yr olds skyrocketing [Re: Richlacal]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I was made to understand that The Wealthy romans,Very Rarily,made it into their 50's due to Excessive over eating & Lead poisoning.

look at table: "Life expectancy variation over time" at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

At birth the average life expectancy is 28. But if you limit the count to population over 15, eliminating the infant and youth fatalities, it shakes out at 52 years.

Reference the "Life Table":
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/classics/documents/Life.html

As I read it a fortunate 2.2% of the population made it past 70.

I hadn't looked into it at any depth previously, not saying spending five minutes Googling passes for research, and gathered my points from what I remembered from reading about Roman life and noting the lifetimes of notable figures. It had always struck me that it is always assumed that ancient people died young whereas a lot of the famous ones seemed to live quite long.

#222483 - 04/29/11 03:36 AM Re: Number of +100yr olds skyrocketing [Re: Richlacal]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I was made to understand that The Wealthy romans,Very Rarily,made it into their 50's due to Excessive over eating & Lead poisoning.Back then If you were obese,You were Wealthy & You drank very acidic wine from Lead Goblets,The Poor people couldn't afford this rare/expensive metal,& Unfortunately lived longer!Medical science on the other hand only recently had developed theory into fact,ie. Variable Blood types,Penicillin,etc. before that it was Blood letting,fasting,& Laudanum for Consumption,Measles,Small pox,Toothaches,etc.Aside from getting a shave/haircut,The Barber also pulled teeth & was often called upon to do the Doctoring!Yup! Medical science sure hasn't changed much nor contributed to Life longevity.Where's that mdinana when you need em'?What's that you say,he's in the Sandbox?Well,I'll just have to visit my Barber then,He know's everything about medical science & Then some!:)

Um... if "excessive" over-eating (as opposed to moderate over eating?) killed people, half of America would be dead.

Lol - yeah, darned sandbox! I'd give you some laudanum if you asked nicely. Actually, doesn't that get grown here? I bet USPS wouldn't bat an eye if I sent "horticultural samples."

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.