Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#222348 - 04/26/11 08:33 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I finally saw the entire episode and found it to be pretty good. But I still think it's idiotic to do what he did.

#222385 - 04/27/11 07:43 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Russ
How does he cross Arizona asphalt in the summer?

I met the guy once, so I can't speak for him, but having read his stuff and followed him on his website, and now on Facebook and Discovery, he has been barefoot for years and has built up a very thick pad of callused skin on his feet. I have also seen this with pacific islanders.

In fact I would guess with the additional thickening and toughening of the bottom of his feet that it would be quite uncomfortable to where normal footwear.

My 2 cents.

#222445 - 04/28/11 04:47 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I’ve only seen the Discovery clip, not the entire show, but it does look crazy.

Every show has something which we can learn, perhaps the lesson here is to add a Favourites links for the Darwin Award Nominations ?

A more serious way of looking at it is to remember that from time to time we do have responsibility to act to save people from themselves, even if they don’t appreciate it (IMO). Stupidity, naivety, intoxication, poor judgement or in this case it would seem to be sensationalism (bravado), whatever the cause I’d hate to have to call the family and explain how Dave ended up in hospital or worse.

… But if they’re going to do it anyway, you may as well video it so you can explain to the next of kin that they really were that silly.

#222479 - 04/29/11 02:37 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
You have to remember that being on this show is their "job" right now.We can then consider that the producers are the bosses.I think and feel the "SLASH AND BURN" was a producers idea.After viewing Dave's videoes on YOUTUBE for a year I think one can get a handle on his character.It appeared that Cody and Dave begrudgingly did this.Their attitude to me was "lets get this stunt over with so we can teach something real".Some of their wording subtley or even subversivly was not in favor of it.
I have noticed that they build a different type of shelter each episode.Dave constructs a different kind of trap and they try to show an other way to start a fire.Looking deeper into the show you start to see a pattern of SHELTER,WATER,FIRE and FOOD(tracking and hunting/trapping) and utilizing resources found or on you.When it comes to navigation it seems to be more towards gross navigation and obtain an idea of your terrain.
I wish that I could see some of what didn't make it on TV and could hear some of Dave and Cody's conversations away from and with the producers...

BOATMAN
John

#222485 - 04/29/11 05:23 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'd like to see them presented with intelligently chosen items to use instead of just random crap. Steel wool and a lantern battery? I haven't seen one of those batteries in real life in over ten years, much less used one. Okay, they're thrust into a survival situation with no preparation- I get that. But who ends up in that situation armed with a just the crap they're given? There's a theme to the show but I'd love to hear them describe how to choose survival items and use them. I've seen both of them do this in youtube vids, why not get the message out to a wider audience?

Still, I love the show!

#222487 - 04/29/11 10:01 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's interesting that we haven't got that episode yet here in Canada. They played what I presume was the season premire (Valley of the Volcanoes) and then reverted to season one re-runs. Wonder if they got too much negative feedback?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222493 - 04/29/11 02:18 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Phaedrus]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'd like to see them presented with intelligently chosen items to use instead of just random crap. Steel wool and a lantern battery? I haven't seen one of those batteries in real life in over ten years, much less used one. Okay, they're thrust into a survival situation with no preparation- I get that. But who ends up in that situation armed with a just the crap they're given? There's a theme to the show but I'd love to hear them describe how to choose survival items and use them. I've seen both of them do this in youtube vids, why not get the message out to a wider audience?

Still, I love the show!

Because the audience doesn’t necessarily want to hear that they need to take personal responsibility for being equipped to survive (with the exception of everyone here who has been watching, of course).

Some of the survival shows also try to show how you can survive a given situation by using the items you would have brought with you and simply keeping a cool head. One I am thinking of in particular is the episode of survivorman where Les Stroud pretended to be an abandoned/lost scuba diver. He showed how a person could survive using the scuba equipment they brought with them.

That said, a whole new show showcasing different gear and how it could be used in a survival situation might not be a bad idea.

#222507 - 04/29/11 06:35 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Mark_F]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
W
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Still, I love the show!

Because the audience doesn’t necessarily want to hear that they need to take personal responsibility for being equipped to survive (with the exception of everyone here who has been watching, of course).

Some of the survival shows also try to show how you can survive a given situation by using the items you would have brought with you and simply keeping a cool head. One I am thinking of in particular is the episode of survivorman where Les Stroud pretended to be an abandoned/lost scuba diver. He showed how a person could survive using the scuba equipment they brought with them.

That said, a whole new show showcasing different gear and how it could be used in a survival situation might not be a bad idea.

3 guess's as to whom they won't invite.....

As some one pointed out a while back, we would have pooled our resources, binned the drama, formulated a plan and been out of Dodge by the first commercial break

#222518 - 04/29/11 09:32 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
How different is that from Stroud's multitool, thermal layer and harmonica, plus whatever one gadget the producers gave him and he could salvage from a vehicle if there was one?

Now, I agree with the idea of proper small kits for one of their shows, like the one Lundin describes in 98.6 and the 10 (or 20) piece kits Cantebury has shown on Youtube. I think it would be a very different affair, just like when Stroud had the dog sled and had his kit in the german mess can.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
3 registered (chaosmagnet, Ren, NAro), 506 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.