Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222283 - 04/25/11 05:59 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I didn't have sound so I may have missed something.

Yes, you did. Dave gave a reasonable advice: "Donīt do it."

I admit that my mind closed at the site of him voluntarily cutting himself. Doesn't seem like a wise choice to me, especially by guys that are supposed to be showing us what TO do.

Those guys are supposed to give a good show. Do not confuse that with showing what to do. Unfortunately each season has to be more spectacular than the one before. So expect the techniques to get less useful.

When I get past that, I'm left wondering: given the resources they had available, what were the other options to close up/protect a wound like that?

The wound was so shallow that it would not even require a suture (Iīve actually taken a cut like that from slipping with a straight razor). They had trouble to KEEP it bleeding. It will usually stop bleeding by itself in a couple of minutes - almost immediately if you apply a little pressure). Applying direct pressure is the proper way to deal with even more severe wounds.
The cauterizing by applying a generous amount of heat is supposed to cause plenty of dead tissue with an elevated risk of infection and long term damage. The original wound might not have left a scar - the burn probably will.
Apart from that it does not seem feasible at all.
  • start the fire before getting injured - otherwise the uncontrolled bleeding might kill the injured before you get your chance to do so
  • even with the small wound the powder got to wet to light - a live threating wound might well soak all of their gunpowder
  • the pain from the burn may well cause a shock and generate a life threatening situation by itself

I would really recommend you to attend a first aid course. Itīs worth itīs money just for the confidence it gives you for dealing with medical emergencies. If you successfully apply the skills only once itīll be priceless.

#222291 - 04/25/11 08:26 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: M_a_x]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Those guys are supposed to give a good show. Do not confuse that with showing what to do. Unfortunately each season has to be more spectacular than the one before. So expect the techniques to get less useful.

I haven't seen the show but I can guarantee that they haven't shown their viewers one of the most important survival skills around out in the wilderness - how to use a map and compass.

Quote:
Apart from that it does not seem feasible at all.

Plus the fact that 3M Steri-strips, Celox, Commercial FAKs, etc.. are somewhat easier to find and purchase than black powder.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/25/11 08:32 PM)

#222294 - 04/25/11 09:49 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Any reality show is all about entertainment and ratings. The fact that the show is the subject of a thread here proves they succeeded. These entertainers do know what they're doing if entertainment and ratings is their goal. Heck, I want to watch the show to see why I don't want to watch it.

From my observation, the common theme for a successful "reality" show is drama. The drama can be real or totally fake. It doesn't matter, just as long as there's drama.

Related issue, I believe the entertainment industry is nearly recession-proof. People will pay their cable bill before they pay for proper health insurance. If I could be a youngster again, I'd base my career in the entertainment industry from the beginning. I could get paid for having fun, making up drama and not thinking too much!

#222297 - 04/25/11 10:31 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I am bothered by it. I also know they don't have the freedom to tell producers to put their head in a bucket of water the way Stroud did.

They get another chance. Even if I've always thought Lundin's "always barefoot" thing was kinda nutty. I understand the logic, but traditional mocassins give you 90% the feel, and infinantly more protection than just your feet.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#222309 - 04/26/11 03:34 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A little light reading on the role and history of cauterization:

http://www.scientiacuriosa.com/early-surgery-cautery-how-to-boil-a-puppy/

#222310 - 04/26/11 05:39 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think that's the most asinine stunt I've ever seen this side of Jackass. It's appalling that Cody would have anything to do with it. Cutting yourself in a survival situation so you can experiment with gunpowder cauterization...well, even Bear isn't that stupid. Congrats, D.C.- you've sunk to a new low for reality TV. mad

#222328 - 04/26/11 02:43 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
NOt everyone agrees with the near unanimous verdict being expressed in this thread.

http://youtu.be/LL3FaY4fV-I

#222333 - 04/26/11 03:45 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: ironraven]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: ironraven

They get another chance. Even if I've always thought Lundin's "always barefoot" thing was kinda nutty. I understand the logic, but traditional mocassins give you 90% the feel, and infinantly more protection than just your feet.

After reading 98.6* a few years back, I ran into Cody in an REI in Tempe, just shopping like the rest of us. Really nice dude, had a great chat in the aisle. Yes he was barefoot.

#222334 - 04/26/11 04:01 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How does he cross Arizona asphalt in the summer?

As for the topic, don't forget that this is a Discovery Channel production. It's all about ratings.

#222340 - 04/26/11 05:51 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: tomfaranda]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
NOt everyone agrees with the near unanimous verdict being expressed in this thread.

http://youtu.be/LL3FaY4fV-I

For everybody getting pissed off with the TV show, watch this video, get even more pissed off and then go workout. You may put up a personal best in the gym.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
3 registered (chaosmagnet, Ren, NAro), 506 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.