The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#221933 - 04/19/11 08:55 PM iPhone radiation detector
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This is pretty neat: a radiation detector assembled on a breadboard and linked to an iPhone. Yes, there is an app. First useful thing I've seen an iPhone do.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/04/...lear-crisis.php

#221937 - 04/19/11 09:16 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I understand the concept and the power behind putting Geiger counters in the hands of just about anyone and then aggregrating the info online, although I think this just might be a case where just because you can doesn't mean that you should do it.

Granted, there is definitely a lack of radiation data out there, but taking valid, accurate readings across all these users is not as simple as you'd think. Inaccurate data can be just as bad as lack of data, whether for the online collaboration or just for yourself.

This article lays out some of the complexities of using a Geiger counter.

#221941 - 04/19/11 09:37 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here is a schematic for a USB interfaced Geiger Counter;

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Geiger_Counter-v14SMD.pdf

Or you just buy one here; then mount into a plastic box leaving a hole for the GM tube window.

or you could purchase one of these;

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/GM/products/GM10GeigerCounter.html

Both of these could be connected to an iPhone, even the iPhone App wouldn't have to be modified to greatly as is it is basically a pulse per second counting routine.

In more harsh radioactive environments the iPhone probably wouldn't stand up to the radiation though.

#221943 - 04/19/11 09:40 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: Arney]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
This article lays out some of the complexities of using a Geiger counter.

Some more false propaganda though to discourage the end user from being proactive in protecting themselves. Using a Geiger counter is simplicity itself to get some idea of the level of radioactivity in the local environment. Folks aren't interested in the radionuclide species or the whether the radiation is alpha, beta, gamma, x-ray, or neutron, positron, they want to know if the tomato on their plate in front of them is too hot to consume.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/19/11 09:49 PM)

#221945 - 04/19/11 10:05 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I've long believed that having a geiger counter or dosimeter in your kits was tin foil hat stuff. Now I must admit that I'm reconsidering my position. I'm within 15 straight air miles of a major reactor facility and my road travel takes me into the same zone of other reactors. Anyone know of a reliable, small and relatively inexpensive unit? (Its not that I can't Google. I just want to tap into anyone else's prior research.) I'm not so convinced that I'd pay big money for a unit. Can anyone ID the detectors CNN's Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta were using in Japan?

Edited by acropolis5 (04/19/11 10:07 PM)

#221961 - 04/20/11 06:23 AM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have found IPhone Apps for radiation stations throughout the US and for using your IPhone as an EMF detector.

Of all of the Radiation Detector Apps, only ONE actually connects to Monitoring sites. All the rest are gags to scare your friends with (a joke).

#221967 - 04/20/11 10:30 AM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ok, dumb question time.: Why a geiger counter? Do we have a plan for if and when the needle moves into the danger zone? Are we assuming that the authories are or are going to lie?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying it's tinfoil hat stuff. I live and work near two nuclear plants, and am trying to figure out if it's worthwhile.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221974 - 04/20/11 01:20 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Oh, I just posted it 'cuz it's cool. I had no idea a homebrew unit was possible. Do I actually need one? No, but that never stopped me before. whistle

Wonder if it could fit in an Altoids tin for the OATH (obligatory altoids tin hack) of the week? Scroll down at:
http://artofmanliness.com/2011/01/30/22-manly-ways-to-reuse-an-altoids-tin/

Maybe I could fit a homebrew automated external defibrillator in there. Trust me, this won't hurt a bit ... grin

#221977 - 04/20/11 01:42 PM Re: iPhone radiation detector [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Are we assuming that the authories are or are going to lie?

The Chernobyl (USSR), Windscale (UK), TMI (USA) and Fukushima (Japan) accident information response would tend to suggest the answer is yes. Well they might get around to tell folks a month of so later the dangers, well after the fact. The authorities use the fact that ionising radiation has no taste, no smell and cannot be seen, felt or heard to mitigate their responsibility to the damaging health effects of the radioactive release.

Quote:
I had no idea a homebrew unit was possible.

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Geiger_Counter-v14SMD.pdf

The ATMEGA168 microcontroller chip on the homebrew circuit could also be used with a simple serial LCD one line display to display CPM, Sv etc and you could even program your own warning thresholds for audio alarms. You wouldn't even need the iPhone.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 180 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.