Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#220092 - 03/23/11 05:50 PM Re: Why so little looting in Japan? [Re: ireckon]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
<snip>
Note that during the Rodney King riots, the police basically drew a circle around a certain area and let it burn itself out. What would you do if your house were in that area? <snip>

I'd do the same thing as dealing with a wildfire. Evacuate, or at least send my family ahead to get them out of harms way. I have lists of hotels and aquantainces where I can go to ground for a couple of days and nothing I'm leaving behind is worth killing over.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#220108 - 03/23/11 09:17 PM Re: Why so little looting in Japan? [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Originally Posted By: ireckon
<snip>
Note that during the Rodney King riots, the police basically drew a circle around a certain area and let it burn itself out. What would you do if your house were in that area? <snip>

I'd do the same thing as dealing with a wildfire. Evacuate, or at least send my family ahead to get them out of harms way. I have lists of hotels and aquantainces where I can go to ground for a couple of days and nothing I'm leaving behind is worth killing over.

Whoa, the idea is self-defense and stopping a threat to your livelihood. The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the fight, but if you can't avoid an offensive attack, it's irresponsible to ignore completely the means to protect one's family. Since you quoted my reference to the Rodney King riots, think about the Reginald Denny case. The poor guy made a mistake and found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happens, especially in an area like L.A.

I know it's an uncomfortable thought process, but self-defense is a primary consideration in areas like L.A. once the looting starts.

#220124 - 03/24/11 02:31 AM Re: Why so little looting in Japan? [Re: ireckon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Whoa, the idea is self-defense and stopping a threat to your livelihood. The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the fight, but if you can't avoid an offensive attack, it's irresponsible to ignore completely the means to protect one's family."

Most people's livelihood is in their heads, not their garages. If you're worried about your belongings, you'd better talk to your insurance agent about increasing your coverage, and if the worst happens, file a claim.

There are always going to be times when you can't win, and you'd better be able to recognize it. You can't do much for your family if you're dead, and poor judgment can be a real killer.

Sue

#220206 - 03/24/11 06:32 PM Re: Why so little looting in Japan? [Re: Susan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
"Whoa, the idea is self-defense and stopping a threat to your livelihood. The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the fight, but if you can't avoid an offensive attack, it's irresponsible to ignore completely the means to protect one's family."

Most people's livelihood is in their heads, not their garages. If you're worried about your belongings, you'd better talk to your insurance agent about increasing your coverage, and if the worst happens, file a claim.

There are always going to be times when you can't win, and you'd better be able to recognize it. You can't do much for your family if you're dead, and poor judgment can be a real killer.

Sue

I'm not sure why you quoted me. I've said self-defense, not property defense, since the beginning. Getting a PhD in survival preparation should involve at least being competent with self-defense gear. Wherever looting occurs, family defense is a primary concern to me, even if I make it outside the boundary of the major activity.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.