Hey, Frisket, just relax and take it slow. One's first pop-gun is always a neat acquisition. But there's a substantial learning curve ahead, and most if it doesn't involve cleaning the firearm.

I sincerely suggest you spend some time with an experienced shooter -- if only to dispel any Hollywood notions, and get to know how to use your firearm safely, responsibly, and (finally) effectively.

I have two or three .22s in my house (I live in the country), and they're the only firearm I use on a regular basis -- mostly for control of invasive species.

You may be surprised to learn that the hottest .22LR round is basically useless for my situation -- and the lowest power round that will feed (CB22 long in 10/22) is the most effective. It won't even cycle the action; it's a fancy single shot. Treat your firearm as a tool for the task at hand (and allow no Hollywood BS).

The point being, a firearm is only as effective (or ineffective) and safe (or dangerous) as the brain of the person holding it. Train your brain. And develop safe habits that you always, always, always follow.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/21/11 03:17 AM)