The answer to a lot of these questions starts with PPPPPP

Prior Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance

If you have an adequate plan in place you can find family - a rally point, or a preplanned route home to look on, with side sides designated. That's if cell phones are down. If cars can't be used, walk the route to meet along the way. Regardless, the first and best rally point is home.

Radio, yes, have 2 solar powered/battery/crank radios. Local radio was decent after hurricanes, no reason to think they wouldn't be the same after a disaster.

To be hit by radiation, it would take a nuclear strike, and I hope I didn't miss that.

There is a major Army base w/i 12 miles I have access to. I know I can find medical care there, worst case scenario. The local hospital is only 5 miles off. There are also several Urgent care type clinics fairly closeby.

Can I drink water coming from a broken pipe. Sure. Do I want to is the real question. And as I can tell our sewer pipes around here from the water pipes, half the danger is gone. Then I do have the means, mechanical and chemical, to purify water.

This disaster in Japan only underscores the need to be ready at all times. Do not depend on help arriving. BTDT, and it takes a couple days if not a week to get people deployed and stuff set up to supply "help". There may be stuff in place, but you have to get the bodies there to pass it out, and worst case, you have to ship in all the stuff.

What did gripe me most on one mission - able bodied men sat there and "supervised" the Army types putting up a tent. The clown that told us to "go faster, he needed shade" got a size 11 1/2 applied where it did me the most good. After that, they got the idea and helped.