Originally Posted By: hikermor
Dive watches became functionally obsolete with the development of the dive computer. Most of them now smell suspiciously of bling....
I have a Casio SPF 70 which had a depth gauge. The manual said not to rely on it for real diving, and the feature was worthless to me. I quickly came to hate that watch.

I now wear a PRO-1500, which was at the top of Casio's range when I bought it. I've had it for a few years now and I'm very pleased. It has altimeter, barometer and compass, solar powered and atomic signal update. It also shows phases of the moon and tides. I like gadgets. The strap is some kind of plastic, which I prefer over titanium.

The main thing it's lacking that I'd want, is sunrise and sunset times. (I do have a phone app for that, but I trust my watch more than my phone.)

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The compass works nicely as a backup which I have rarely used - it is still nice to have, at virtually no cost in bulk and weight.
I think watches with digital compasses tend to be physically larger. Mine could be too big for some wrists. However, I agree it's good to have on you as a backup. I have also used it for trivial navigation, to help me orient myself in unfamiliar surroundings. Mainly in towns, where knowing the four compass points is enough precision.