Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#218788 - 03/11/11 08:42 PM Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good?
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Back in 04, FEMA published their own preparedness guide "Are You Ready? An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness". I've leafed through it, and it reads like a Cliffs Notes of disaster preparedness.

I haven't been able to find an objective review, what does eveybody think of it?

http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#218795 - 03/11/11 09:53 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think it is quite good.

I don't think it is the final word but it is far better, more comprehensive and authoritative, than many other sources. I think it stand up quite well as a sole source but really shines as a framework to hang other materials and applicable local details and knowledge on. An idea might be to print up the manual and put it in a loose-leaf notebook and then add pages that address your individual situation and add relevant techniques and options.

On the page for hurricanes they say:

Quote:

Before a Hurricane
To prepare for a hurricane, you should take the following measures:

* Make plans to secure your property. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. A second option is to board up windows with 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready to install. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
* Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure. This will reduce roof damage.
* Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed.
* Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
* Determine how and where to secure your boat.
* Consider building a safe room.

This looks like a place to insert a page that tells you where the storm shutters you pre-cut are stored, how they are identified so they get on the right windows, and how they are designed to be attached.

You might include a statement of which rooms in the house are deemed to be safest to hold up in if you can't flee. Also, if you know, which downspouts and drains are most prone to clogging/overflow, and any pre-established materials and methods you have for fastening down your boat, trash cans, picnic table.

#218826 - 03/12/11 11:16 AM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#218831 - 03/12/11 02:41 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: jshannon]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL

Thanks!

#218838 - 03/12/11 04:12 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
It's been a while since I read through it, but I thought it was quite good. Certainly better than many preparedness books I have leafed through at the bookstore in terms of breadth of coverage or actual content.

#218839 - 03/12/11 04:17 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
i thought it was pretty good. i've sent it to friends lookinb for info on how to get started because it was easy to read and covered a lot of ground.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218856 - 03/12/11 08:03 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

You may want to note that FEMA guide is dated August 2004, which was before Katrina (Aug 2005) and other recent disasters.

I see you're in SoCal. This guide (2010) is a practical resource for California residents in particular:
http://www.cert-la.com/EmergPrepBooklet.pdf

After I review the FEMA guide, I can compare.

#218896 - 03/12/11 11:19 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
scrounger Offline
Stranger

Loc: Australia
The Federation of American Scientists have a website "Really Ready America" which critiques the "are you ready" website, and provides their own suggested improvements.

http://www.fas.org/reallyready/

#219148 - 03/14/11 10:42 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: Mark_R]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It clearly isn't the final word and it isn't focused on anyone's specific situation. but you could do far worse than using this document as a primer and checklist for potential disasters. If a hurricane was closing in you might print out that section and use it as a checklist for your preparation so you don't forget or overlook any important aspect or issues in the rush to get ready.

#219449 - 03/16/11 08:58 PM Re: Is FEMA's "Are You Ready" guide any good? [Re: NightHiker]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
I like the FEMA guide for the entry level education it provides. Here is another free download from my company "Disaster Ready People for a Disaster Ready America" which was published in 2008.
http://www.firestorm.com/book/

It was published on the premise that in an emergency, family is going to trump business concerns every time, so as part of an organizations "business continuity" plans, we argue the more prepared your staff is personally, the better chance they will be prepared to help get you business running again as quickly as possible in the event of a major disruption.

Finally, this link is a source I have picked up a bunch of good tips and "...had not considered that" pointers. It is the story of a couple that lost their house in Katrina, and what he woulda/shoulda/coulda done had he truly fathomed he was spending the last 6 hours he would ever see his lifes possessions before he evacuated. (... Great story involving the fight with his wife about what to take and not take)
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

So on a continum, FEMA good basics, and Katrina website that would give me a "to do" list that will last beyond my demise!

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aaron_Guinn, israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo
5370 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Man rescued, floating on cooler
by Ren
10/16/24 02:39 PM
Satellite texting via iPhone, 911 via Pixel
by Ren
10/11/24 11:25 AM
Hurricane Milton
by Herman30
10/09/24 11:07 AM
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.