Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Earthquake predictions are still far to unreliable to take such measures as bugging out prior to the event.

However, there are some patterns. I've noticed that epicenters tend to "walk" down the faultline, and after the Mexicali quake I knew that we would be getting a bunch. You can't release that much load from one section of the fault without it being taken up somewhere else.

1) Basic preparations, like having all tall funiture strapped to the wall and earthquake insurance. It ain't the quake that I really fear, it's getting squashed under 500 lbs of bookshelf and contents.

2) Have procedures in place (water, gas, electricity, structure checks after the shaking stop)

3) Now would be a really good time to keep a wrecking bar handy. Also, keep the car tanks and spare water topped off.

I have been through a bunch of 5+ pointers, and outside of falling shelves and ceiling lamps, I got through them unscathed.

A lot of good can come from a careful examination of the home for objects that might fall or get displaced and crush or trap someone. Bookcases, refrigerators, file cabinets, water heaters are just the beginning of the list of things that might be issues. Sometimes these can be fastened to the wall or floor to keep them from shifting or falling over. Getting crushed is just one of the risks.

A file cabinet that falls in front of a closed door effectively blocks the door. The bookshelf in the hall can make a hall into a major obstacle.

Substitutions can also be useful. Substituting two four-foot tall bookshelves eats up floor space but gets you more shelf space at far less risk if they do topple. Remember it isn't just the shelves falling over. The complete works of Marcel Proust, leather bound and in the original French, hurts if it falls on you. Falling from four feet is easier to take than from seven or eight.

Even stuff that wouldn't seem like an issue can nail you. A Hummel collection that falls and shatters can shred your feet and immobilize you. Even if it does stop you exposed wounds in time of limited sanitation is an invitation to a major infection. Broken glass can puncture lighter soled shoes.

Doing something as simple as making sure you know where everything is can help save time and build confidence.

People who are really running scared have been know to sleep in a tent in their backyard, or a nearby park. A tent of flat ground, ideally bedrock, is pretty safe. No worry about the roof falling on you. Worse case you can cut your way out with a pen knife.