Originally Posted By: dweste
A challenge: you, anyone using your kit, and any law enforcement need to know instantly what you are carrying, which makes the single dose travel packets attractive, but the packaging-to-content volume in a small PFAK or FAK is not attractive.

I put all my OTC meds in a small zip-lock pill baggie I got in bulk from the drug store. EDC I carry 12 Ibuprofen, 12 Acetaminophen, 12 Loperamide and 8 Diphen. I always carry my FAK in an outside pocket of my bag or pack for quick access, where it isn't likely to get crushed.

Last week I got this idea for identification: I placed one of each pill on the scanner of my all-in-one printer, numbers facing down, and scanned into the computer. I inserted the scan into MS-Word, cropped and scaled it to fit, and typed in the name and dose instructions next to each pill. Then I printed this, trimmed the paper and inserted into the bag with the pills. I've only done this with my camping FAK so far but plan to do the others soon. I'll post a photo later Here's a photo:

I'm going to do the same thing for my prescription meds. My understanding is you can carry a limited supply of Rx meds "for current use" in other than original packaging. At least I hope this is true, because my health insurance makes me get a 90-day supply from a mail order pharmacy, and those bottles can get huge.

Edited by Mark_M (03/03/11 02:29 AM)
Edit Reason: Added photo