Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#218231 - 03/02/11 01:39 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: TeacherRO]
6pac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: N.E. Alabama
It's the same where I live. If it's not OTC then you better have it in it's original bottle with legible label, if not, then they arrest you and carry you to jail and give you the line " explain it to the judge".

I've carried spare batteries and loose change in those little plastic bags when I go hiking/camping and have for years. Never had any luck carrying meds because they get squashed or rub together and make a chalky mess in the bag. Eventually the bottom of the bag will split open and the contents released. Even the hard cases and capsules will allow meds to loosely bump around, so make sure you pack a little cotton in whatever you use.

#218249 - 03/02/11 07:53 PM Re: Carrying small meds (OTC) cases/ boxes? [Re: dweste]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: dweste
A challenge: you, anyone using your kit, and any law enforcement need to know instantly what you are carrying, which makes the single dose travel packets attractive, but the packaging-to-content volume in a small PFAK or FAK is not attractive.

I put all my OTC meds in a small zip-lock pill baggie I got in bulk from the drug store. EDC I carry 12 Ibuprofen, 12 Acetaminophen, 12 Loperamide and 8 Diphen. I always carry my FAK in an outside pocket of my bag or pack for quick access, where it isn't likely to get crushed.

Last week I got this idea for identification: I placed one of each pill on the scanner of my all-in-one printer, numbers facing down, and scanned into the computer. I inserted the scan into MS-Word, cropped and scaled it to fit, and typed in the name and dose instructions next to each pill. Then I printed this, trimmed the paper and inserted into the bag with the pills. I've only done this with my camping FAK so far but plan to do the others soon. I'll post a photo later Here's a photo:

I'm going to do the same thing for my prescription meds. My understanding is you can carry a limited supply of Rx meds "for current use" in other than original packaging. At least I hope this is true, because my health insurance makes me get a 90-day supply from a mail order pharmacy, and those bottles can get huge.

Edited by Mark_M (03/03/11 02:29 AM)
Edit Reason: Added photo

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.