Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#218221 - 03/02/11 02:45 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
'I like "Lock and load. Prepare to shoot. This is not a drill." '

I like it! Esp for schools!

I grew up in another era... my high school went on lock-down only once, and that was when a German Shepherd mix was wandering around the campus, growling at people.

Sue

#218223 - 03/02/11 03:37 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That's something I never understood. The British Police don't carry guns (at least I don't think they do) ...

Cultures and responses are necessarily different. The UK is hardly known as a land indifferent to law and order. I'm no expert, so take my response FWIW; but a couple of things come to mind. Kindly correct me if I'm off-base.

First, I believe the UK fuzz have adapted to the brave new bang-bang world with a layered response to the threat. Many have training and access to firearms, but do not carry them into every situation unless there is reasonable apprehension that they may be needed. This is a reasonable compromise to the traditional role, in their view; and no doubt there are very heavily armed responders who deal with additional escalation. (Keep in mind that the UK has dealt with very real threats, internal and external, for an extended period.)

The second thing is perhaps understood (traditional) rather than codified. At least that's how I read it. A "firearms last resort" policy implies a "hands-on physical control first" policy, with perhaps a great deal more lattitude in how physical force is applied.

Anyway, that's my 2p.

As an afterthought: in these discussions, you have to read through the usual Brit understatement. E.g., a full-bore, two-fisted interrogation comes out as "the gentleman is assisting the police in their enquiries."

#218225 - 03/02/11 05:26 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
That's something I never understood. The British Police don't carry guns (at least I don't think they do)...

I believe that's why they're called Boobies.

#218227 - 03/02/11 10:50 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I believe the term is "Bobbies," named after their founder. the last time I was through Heathrow, there was some pretty impressive armament on display, so I don't think the chaps are naive.

#218240 - 03/02/11 04:13 PM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: dougwalkabout]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
That's something I never understood. The British Police don't carry guns (at least I don't think they do) ...

First, I believe the UK fuzz have adapted to the brave new bang-bang world with a layered response to the threat.

Correct, there is no shortage of firepower when needed and they they have dedicated units available to respond at all times.

#218402 - 03/04/11 05:33 PM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: garland]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
In regards to hardening your sliding doors, I posted about 3M Window Security Film in a different post. I don't have sliders, but I was thinking of applying this stuff to my ground level windows.

Anyway, this link will bring you to Amazon with a selection of security film thicknesses and lengths appropriate for sliding windows. The stuff is a little spendy, though, but cheaper and more attractive than french doors with security grills.

(No affiliation)

#218437 - 03/05/11 10:09 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: LesSnyder]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
you saved a lot of time and had much better compliance if you took the time to explain why you ask them to do something...
I agree with that, but I don't think it implies using codewords. Especially not really obscure ones like "yellow binder" - that's less likely to get fast compliance for me as I'd have to remember what it meant.

#218440 - 03/05/11 11:34 AM Re: Bank robbers holed up in the woods near my house. [Re: garland]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Brangdon... since this is an open forum, and the procedure is still in use, I did not use the actual term , which is not that ambiguous...the call was to the front desk and to trained staff members....it is initiated by suspicion and not actual knowledge... most teachers are not gun people...this was a threat we needed to address post Columbine and considered a viable solution..additionally, a student could be sent to the office carrying the "yellow folder" with a seating chart included, and the suspicious student's desk identified

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 206 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.