Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#217794 - 02/22/11 06:50 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: Teslinhiker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
HJ--no joke--

#217796 - 02/22/11 07:19 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: Teslinhiker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a comment if you are dealing with kids and gas cylinders...we used to use the GAZ cylinders for our "Bunsen burners" in chem lab, with the type shown in CANOEDOGS's photo, once punctured, no way to shut off the gas except with the burner valve... a fellow teacher walked into my class one day with a punctured cylinder spewing gas (one of his angels had popped the top off)... I grabbed it and headed for the window, but a PE class was passing underneath, threw it in the vent hood, had the students look away, and hoped the vent switch and motor were explosion proof as noted and flipped the switch... we affectionately referred to them thereafter as hand grenades...switched to a source (Lentz?) with a self contained Schrader valve (tire type valve) to shut off fuel if the burner is removed...

#217808 - 02/22/11 08:17 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Thanks Jim. Any further testing is going to have to wait as a urgent family matter has come about overnight and we are getting ready to leave in about 2 hours. By time we get back, probably sometime next week, our cold spell here will be over...
I hope everything is OK.

HJ

#217810 - 02/22/11 08:18 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I have a stove that use those slim butane canisters, and even in ambient temperature in the high 20's, after some use the canister would get cool enough to unable to supply a strong flame,
Yeah, butane is pretty much not a cold weather fuel.

HJ

#217811 - 02/22/11 08:19 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
HJ--no joke--
Pretty cool!

What is that? It looks like a GT106 modified to take full size canisters.

HJ

#217813 - 02/22/11 08:29 PM Re: MSR Pocket Rocket Semi-cold Weather Test [Re: LesSnyder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
a comment if you are dealing with kids and gas cylinders...we used to use the GAZ cylinders for our "Bunsen burners" in chem lab, with the type shown in CANOEDOGS's photo, once punctured, no way to shut off the gas except with the burner valve... a fellow teacher walked into my class one day with a punctured cylinder spewing gas (one of his angels had popped the top off)... I grabbed it and headed for the window, but a PE class was passing underneath, threw it in the vent hood, had the students look away, and hoped the vent switch and motor were explosion proof as noted and flipped the switch... we affectionately referred to them thereafter as hand grenades...switched to a source (Lentz?) with a self contained Schrader valve (tire type valve) to shut off fuel if the burner is removed...
The old style canisters with no valve are not my favorite. I've got a couple of those stoves, which are fine in and of themselves, but that style of canister is just not as safe as a modern one.

You can make an adapter, if you've got machine tools, that will allow you to mate a modern valved canister to the old style stoves. See the red item in the photo below.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.