I changed jobs and started commuting on the train for the first time in twenty years. I spent some time trying to figure what I could carry to improve my chances without needing a wheelbarrow for my laptop bag. The most likely threat would be some form of mass transit disruption, perhaps something that would keep me on the train overnight.

1) I'm more thoughtful about what I wear. If the weather's questionable I may bring a rain shell, an extra fleece, or something like that. My shoes are suitable for long-distance walking. I'm a lot more likely to wear a base layer when it's cold, too.

2) Water is life. The heaviest addition to my EDC when commuting by train is a 32-ounce Nalgene bottle. I always fill it before leaving home or the office.

3) My first aid kit isn't as big as the one in my car, but it still makes up the largest part of my EDC after the water bottle. I have OTC meds to keep working and bandaids for boo-boos. The bulkiest component is North American Rescue's Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit. It's not as good as the trauma kit I carry at the range, but it's way better than nothing.

Other survival items include:

* A 2-person Heatsheets thermal blanket

* A pair of mechanic's gloves

* Contractor bag

* Dust mask

* Bandanna

* Whistle (a Fox 40 Micro)

* An extra CR123A battery for my EDC flashlight (a Quark 123)

* An iTP EOS A3 Upgrade, which is an excellent AAA flashlight

* A Fenix E01, the world's best extra AAA battery holder

* a Prism kit to turn my Quark 123 into a headlamp

* A small amount of duct tape

* A small package of Cottenelle wipes.

* Four quarters wrapped up in a rubberband

* a Countycomm split-pea lighter

* Potable Aqua tablets

While they weren't added for train commuting, my EDC knife is a Ritter mini-grip and my laptop bag also contains a Leatherman Wave.

Other than having more flashlights than can be reasonably explained, I'm certainly open to suggestions on how I could improve upon this. I don't want my bag to get a lot heavier, though.