Living in an urban environment doesn't really tell enough to get constructive suggestions.

I'd want to know what disaster you expect. I live in earthquake country. I used to live in blizzard country. Before that I lived in tornado country. My survival kit for each disaster is very different.

I'd want to know if you commute to work. If so, you need a car kit. You need a go bag at your work desk. Do you work in a highrise? If so, your work go bag may need some hiking shoes if you normally work in dress shoes; you may need leather gloves if you work in an area with glass; you probably need a dust mask. But this depends on what disaster you expect. I expect an earthquake and building destruction, so I want the sturdy shoes, leather gloves, dust mask, chemical lights because I expect broken gas mains, etc.

In my car, I expect rubble in the streets and downed overpasses. I expect either to be stuck in my car or to have to walk out, depending on conditions. In my car, I have shelter, heat, food, water, clothes that are picked for the season, walking shoes, leather gloves, first aid supplies, and such.

If you have a disaster at home, you may find water from the lake is a life saver, so I'd have a means to purify water and to carry it from the lake and store it at home. A month's worth of food for every person, same with water, a way to cook and eat for a month (stove, utensils, etc.) for each person, a lot of clothes appropriate for the season, honkin' huge first aid supply kit since I live in earthquake country and expect severe injuries from falling buildings and debris.

If you're in DFW, I'd concentrate on tornados, range fires which develop into city fires, and ice storms. You may also have rolling blackouts, I hear.

My wife and I camp out a lot, so we're completely comfortable in a tent, making lunch on a camp stove, and using "outdoor facilities." (If you lose your water mains for any reason, you won't have water to flush commodes, in addition to having nothing to drink, cook with, and bathe in.) If you care to, I'd recommend going camping enough to become comfortable roughing it in a tent in a national park with pit toilets and only a cold water tap. You'll find out what you need to survive without a house if the big tornado blows yours down.

Good luck and have fun.