I wonder if iodine tabs are really a better buy if they don't do the job when you need them to. ClO2 is definitely more expensive on paper.

There's also taste. I won't argue that ClO2 is tasty, but it is at least to me more palatable than iodine.

I one were to want to have something longer lasting, one might want to look into liquid iodine. Polar Pure, if I recall correctly is iodine in liquid form. I believe it's shelf life is far longer than tablets.

From the Polar Pure website:
Quote:
Question: What is the shelf life of Polar Pure?
Polar Pure uses pure elemental iodine which has an indefinite shelf life. It does not degrade with time or temperature if kept tightly sealed. The iodine in your Polar Pure bottle will sublimate (vaporize) if the bottle is left open. Be sure that your bottle is tightly capped between uses. Iodine complexes -- tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets -- are sold under various names (Globaline, Potable Aqua) are convenient and effective when fresh but degrade on air exposure; tablets should be discarded 3 months after opening bottle. Polar Pure will produce a saturated solution capable of disinfecting your water for as long as you can see iodine crystals in the bottom of your Polar Pure bottle.

Note: no affiliation, financial interest, etc. I normally filter, hate the taste & smell of iodine, and have not tried the product.

HJ