The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#216823 - 02/10/11 09:55 PM Re: CanCooker [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast

Yeah, you are right. A really big stockpot would be just as good...
-Blast

Don't get me wrong, it is an interesting design for a pot that looks well made. But I really don't think there is anything particularly special about the milk can design from a functional point of view. Having a firmly attached lid, nice latches, is a plus but otherwise it is just a pot. Albeit a rather nice pot.

If anything I would think that a wider bottom would spread the heat and better allow some fluid motion that might keep the contents from burning on the bottom.

Given that stainless steel latches of similar design are commercially available, and I happen to own, and be fairly handy with a pop-rivet gun, I don't see why I couldn't find a suitable stock pot and install my own heavy-duty latches to help keep the contents in and dirt out during rough handling over a campfire.

That assumed the lock-down lid is really desirable. Seems to me our ancestors did a lot of cooking over fires and most of their pots lacked any way of locking on a lid.

I've seen what must have been ten gallons or more of stew cooked over a fire in a large stock pot. The only special provision they had was a large steel ring with two short lengths of chain and hook on the end. This was hooked onto the handles on the sides and a stout wooden pole inserted into the ring to allow two people to lift the pot without having to stand in the fire.

#216829 - 02/10/11 11:35 PM Re: CanCooker [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't think I'd pay $70-ish for one. Especially considering I can snag large stainless stock pots for a few bucks at yard sales.

On the other hand, if I won one in a draw or through a charity auction, I would certainly keep it. Handy item if you need to boil up a lot of water/soup/whatever in a hurry. The aluminum is so much more efficient in terms of thermal transfer compared to stainless steel.

#216840 - 02/11/11 02:19 AM Re: CanCooker [Re: Dagny]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Gives me an idea for another use for my two gas turkey friers. Right now, I only use them to make maple syrup.

#216841 - 02/11/11 02:32 AM Re: CanCooker [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Only one time did I cook in a pressure cooker and not use the perforated plate in the bottom. It was an impressive lesson in cleaning, and I hope to never do it again.

I'll pass on this unit. If I want a pressure cooker, I'll use steel.

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 270 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.