Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216446 - 02/04/11 09:04 PM New kind of knife - you choose the blades
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.quirky.com/products/35-Switch-Modular-Pocket-Knife

Have I missed seeing this mentioned on here? It looks interesting in that you get to chose among an assortment of tools you get to put in the knife. You get two body covers and a dozen and a half attachments you get to pick and chose from to put between the covers.

I'm not sure how convenient it would be to carry with all 17 in there, but I can see having a corkscrew for when I'm at Burning Man and pliers and screw drivers when I'm home.

#216450 - 02/04/11 09:44 PM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: philip]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Looks interesting. Perhaps you could set it up in bladeless mode for airplane carry?

#216451 - 02/04/11 09:55 PM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Looks interesting. Perhaps you could set it up in bladeless mode for airplane carry?

Why would I not put it with the blades in my checked baggage?

#216456 - 02/04/11 10:16 PM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: ireckon]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon

What if you aren't traveling with checked luggage? For short trips I often go carry-on only.

#216460 - 02/04/11 10:55 PM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: Paul810]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
That handle looks about as comfortable as grabbing onto a saw blade. Not exactly "ergonomic".

[edit]
Also, you would need to know in advance what tools you'd want to include as you customized this thing. If you know in advance, why not just take individual purpose-specific tools? The appeal of the Leathermans's and such (for me), is the ability to not know what you'll be needing in advance, but you always have something that can cover in a pinch. They're not great tools, but they work well enough for an unknown situation to maybe get you buy. Nowhere near as good as real single-purpose tools however.
[/edit]

Edited by haertig (02/04/11 10:59 PM)

#216461 - 02/04/11 11:07 PM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: philip]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida
It is definitely interesting…

#216464 - 02/05/11 12:15 AM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: Paul810]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Paul810

What if you aren't traveling with checked luggage? For short trips I often go carry-on only.

Oh, do you guys mean set it up so there are other tools but no blades? That seems like more trouble than what it's worth. This device will eventually be confiscated even without the blades if you fly a lot. The set is not cheap. I'd prefer to have cheap tools to carry on that I don't mind losing.

#216465 - 02/05/11 12:24 AM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I could easily see an "urban" configuration and a "wilderness" configuration and, indeed, a few variations of wilderness types depending upon what gear I was carrying. I could see a specific setup for bike touring. That handle doesn't look very appealing, I must admit.

like any gadget, I need to get my mitts on one and do some heavy duty fondling.

#216466 - 02/05/11 01:13 AM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: philip]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

80.00 is alot of money for a SAK with changeable blades. If you gotta travel then buy something when you get there most sporting goods stores or Walmart or Target will have a decent selection of knives to choose from. Heck the new Leatherman's that are coming out should be around 25.00 at most places you could grab one of those and mail it back to yourself or something. It's a neat gadget but much like some of the 80's era survival tools I think this is doomed to go down in flames.

#216502 - 02/06/11 12:07 AM Re: New kind of knife - you choose the blades [Re: ireckon]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Oh, do you guys mean set it up so there are other tools but no blades? That seems like more trouble than what it's worth. This device will eventually be confiscated even without the blades if you fly a lot. The set is not cheap. I'd prefer to have cheap tools to carry on that I don't mind losing.

I fly with a swiss micro thing: plier with short blades for flat and phillips screws, and have for years. It's never been confiscated. shrug - of course, you never know what moron you're going to come across at TSA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 480 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.