Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#212328 - 12/03/10 08:22 PM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm looking at adding the battery powered chem sticks...well they're not chem but they look like it.

#212596 - 12/07/10 10:20 PM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm looking at these two things:

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD15-High-Pe...3395&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Accessory-Ki...3435&sr=8-1

The second item is just to get the white cone diffuser. The other included accessories look to be pretty useless to me.

Runs on a single AA battery, and is advertised as 117 lumens for 1.5 hours or 8 lumens for 39 hours. You could store a couple of spare AA batteries with it and have a very long time of light. It will stand on end to act as a lantern. With the white cone diffuser it looks like it would make a very nice little lantern.

I have one of the Target "Rock River" lanterns. It was cheap. It is bright. Batteries last forever. But it has a lot of glare if your eyes are in line with the LED/reflector. Wrap the plastic shield with masking tape or wax paper and it's much more pleasing to the eye, albeit dimmer.

#212597 - 12/07/10 10:26 PM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

The Amazon web page for this lantern is kind of funny. If you scroll down a bit to where it says "What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?"

51% buy the light
27% buy some dancing software program for the Nintendo Wii

That just seems kind of random...

#212598 - 12/07/10 10:36 PM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: haertig]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig

The Amazon web page for this lantern is kind of funny. If you scroll down a bit to where it says "What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?"

51% buy the light
27% buy some dancing software program for the Nintendo Wii

That just seems kind of random...

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaa! I can see it now "Hmmmmm This light seems nice for camping and possible blackouts but....Id rather much Dance!" Then the other 26% are like "Hmmmm This guy would rather dance then illuminate his home? He must be onto something!"

#212603 - 12/08/10 12:29 AM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
With the white cone diffuser it looks like it would make a very nice little lantern.

FWIW, 8 lumens through a diffuser will be mostly useless IMO. You will get much better results by shining the light on a home-made ceiling reflector made out of aluminum foil. You can shape it any way you like.

BTW, have you looked at the 4sevens offerings in this price range? It's nice to have a 20-ish lumen mid-range setting. No affiliation, I'm just looking at similar 1-AA offerings on the market.

#212605 - 12/08/10 12:47 AM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: dougwalkabout]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I improvised a lantern with a standard AA light (4sevens quark, but any light will do) that I forced into the opening of a plastic PET water bottle. When suspended over our table it worked like a charm - it gave pleasant light for our evening meal.

Nothing wrong with dedicated tools for the job, just following up on some make-shift alternative solutions... wink

I get ever more reluctant to bring new gadgets and ever more gear out in the field. I try to minimize and de-clutter. This leaves little room for neither dedicated camp lantern nor 8 inch plastic diffusers for regular flashlights. But our needs are different, and I am sure these lanterns do a pretty neat job.

#214589 - 01/09/11 01:53 AM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: Emerald]
Emerald Offline
Stranger

I decided that I shouldn't be reviewing a light without having tried it; so I bought one.

Construction: Excellent
Size: Too large to use as a flashlight, my hand doesn't go all the way around.
Batteries: 4AA, lasting 25 hours on high, 50 on low, a long time on strobe mode...
Weight: 307.5 grams (with batteries and attachments)
Cost: $27 Canadian
Lumens: 185 on high, low is about half.

Flashlight mode - Beam description:
This lantern has a VERY nice floodlight, it is a better floodlight than it is a lantern. The color is very nice and PERFECTLY even.

Lantern Mode:
There are significant rings in the light, making frosting preferable. A clear plastic bag seems to work nicely in testing, but I haven't used it long enough to know how hot the light will get.

Conclusion:
I expect I will mostly use this in low flashlight mode.

Summary:
PRO: bright, well made, good run time
CON: too large

Originally Posted By: Emerald
I contemplated buying one some time ago. The salesperson in the store told me they were more of a toy that you would give to a child going to camp than something an adult should buy. IMO They are a bit too large for use as a flashlight (although I like 4AA lights and have been happily using a Princeton Tec impact XL for years - its waterproof) and possibly not quite as good as a dedicated lantern to be used as such. There are quite a few good small flashlights around.

As for information on flashlights, try where the flashaholics hang out:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com

As for my advice on what to use, there is a 300 Candlepower Sportsman Extreme by Rayovac. It uses 3D's. The batteries last 72 hours on high, 150 on low. They also have a 4D lantern and an 8D area lantern.

There are also a black diamond line of lanterns that are all excellent.

So what I ended up deciding was that you are better off with two dedicated devices. Do you want a thrower? A flood light? A lantern? Etc. On the flashaholic website they have a much larger list of types of lights.

#216477 - 02/05/11 06:48 AM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: haertig]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey

I have several Fenix flashlights. The are very well made and put out an amazing amount of light for an even more amazing length of time. I use Energizer L91 Lithium batteries in mine, which increases the run-time and cold-temperature performance.

The only complaint I have is that the action on the twisty cap-switch is very stiff. A little silicon lube on the threads helps a bit, but still it can be a struggle to work the 1xAA/1xAAA flashlights with one hand in the cold.

You might also want to look at the Maratac AA from Countycomm.com. Not quite as bright on high as the Fenix, but it has a low 1.5 lumen range that lasts 100 hours and is good enough for illuminating the ground in front of you or reading a menu. The action on the Maratac is also much smoother than the Fenix. The Maratac also has a more useful 18 lumen mid range, and an 85 lumen high. Bought individually and with shipping, the price is a bit lower than the Fenix on Amazon, but you'll probably find other interesting items worth buying on the Countycomm site to dilute the shipping costs.

#216479 - 02/05/11 07:52 AM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: Emerald]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Emerald
There are also a black diamond line of lanterns that are all excellent.

I have two Black Diamond Apollo lanterns and am very satisfied. They have frosted globes for good light distribution. I plan on getting one or two more. They are frequently on-sale by me for $30-35.

#216492 - 02/05/11 03:10 PM Re: Emergency home lantern review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have several Fenix lights, and they've all been solid. The Quarks I own have better output and runtime, and may have the edge in build quality -- I've had no failures, but the Quarks have suffered far more abuse with little cosmetic damage. The moonlight mode available on some Quark models is incredibly handy.

My experience with Maratacs has not been as positive. I had one Maratac AAA (same electronics as an iTP A3 EOS upgrade) where the keyring clip broke off. I also had a Maratac 9290 (identical to an iTP C7T except anodized in green) with a bad tailcap.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with any of these companies other than as a customer. I own more 4Sevens flashlights than is healthy for any one person, however.

Edited by chaosmagnet (02/05/11 03:12 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 182 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:41 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.